Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Now You Are Well So Stop Sinning Or Something Even Worse May Happen To You.

Now You Are Well
So Stop Sinning
Or Something Even Worse May Happen To You.
Scripture
John 5
3 Crowds of sick people—blind, lame, or paralyzed—lay on the porches. 5 One of the men lying there had been sick for thirty-eight years. 6 When Jesus saw him and knew he had been ill for a long time, he asked him, “Would you like to get well?”
7 “I can’t, sir,” the sick man said, “for I have no one to put me into the pool when the water bubbles up. Someone else always gets there ahead of me.”
8 Jesus told him, “Stand up, pick up your mat, and walk!”
9 Instantly, the man was healed! He rolled up his sleeping mat and began walking! But this miracle happened on the Sabbath, 10 so the Jewish leaders objected. They said to the man who was cured, “You can’t work on the Sabbath! The law doesn’t allow you to carry that sleeping mat!”
11 But he replied, “The man who healed me told me, ‘Pick up your mat and walk.’”
12 “Who said such a thing as that?” they demanded.
13 The man didn’t know, for Jesus had disappeared into the crowd. 14 But afterward Jesus found him in the Temple and told him, “Now you are well; so stop sinning, or something even worse may happen to you.”
Observation

After lying crippled and sick for 38 years by the pool of Bethesda, hoping to one day get well this man was healed by Jesus.
Evidently his 38 years of sickness and misery, his not being able to even walk was all caused by sin.
After Jesus healed this crippled man, Jesus said to him, “now you are well; so stop sinning, or something even worse may happen to you”.
Worse than the previous 38 years!
This story is a reminder to me that my sin and your sin always has consequences. And yes, unless we stop sinning, something even worse may happen to us!
There is an umbrella of God's protection and blessing that is over us when we live godly lives. Once we step out from under that umbrella of God's protection and begin to practice sin that is when you and I will reap the consequences of our sin.
And yes, it can and usually does get a lot worse!
Psalm 32
Oh, what joy for those
    whose disobedience is forgiven,
    whose sin is put out of sight!

2 Yes, what joy for those
    whose record the Lord has cleared of guilt,[
b]
    whose lives are lived in complete honesty!

3 When I refused to confess my sin,
    my body wasted away,
    and I groaned all day long.

4 Day and night your hand of discipline was heavy on me.
    My strength evaporated like water in the summer heat. Interlude
5 Finally, I confessed all my sins to you
    and stopped trying to hide my guilt.
I said to myself, “I will confess my rebellion to the Lord.”
    And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone.
6 Therefore, let all the godly pray to you while there is still time,
    that they may not drown in the floodwaters of judgment.

7 For you are my hiding place;
    you protect me from trouble.
    You surround me with songs of victory.
Application
I will confess my sins as I commit them and I will try to help those who have fallen and who are now living in sin. How about you?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, I am so broken over the direction and the decisions that some men, some who are my friends and some who are part of family have taken in recent days. I know from Your Word that they are on very dangerous ground. I pray for them. I pray that they stop sinning before something worse happens to them. Do whatever it takes to turn their lives around. I pray for those who have been hurt by their sin. Give those loved ones the strength not to give up. Help them to be ready to accept these men back when they turn their lives around and when these men start walking with You again. You are a Mighty God. Nothing is too hard for you!
Daily Bible Reading: John 5,6



No comments: