Friday, December 22, 2017

Love Each Other. Just As I Have Loved You, You Should Love Each Other.

Love Each Other.
Just As I Have Loved You,
You Should Love Each Other.
Scripture
John 13
34 So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. 
35 Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.”
Observation

Loving your wife, loving your husband, loving your children, loving your grandchildren, loving your brothers and loving your sisters, none of those are options for us as followers of Jesus Christ.

Jesus commands us to love!

Isn't it interesting that we have to be commanded by God to love people!
Jesus was only a few hours away from being nailed to a cross and yet He wanted to drive home this most important lesson before spikes were driven into His hands and into His feet and a sword was thrust into His side.

Proof of how much I love Jesus Christ is shown by how much I love Kathy Williams, my family, and all the other people that God has brought into my life!

Marriage and all relationships take a lot of work.

We are commanded to love the people that God has brought into our lives with God's love - “Agape love”.

This love is not an emotion. God's love is a commitment. It is unconditional!

In marriage “I love you” really means:
I promise to be there for you all of my days.” It is a promise that says, “I will be there when you lose your job, your health, your parents, your looks, your confidence, your friends. It is a promise that tells your partner, I’ll build you up; I will overlook your weaknesses; I’ll forgive your mistakes; I’ll put your needs above my own; I’ll stick by you when the going gets tough.”

1 Corinthians 13
Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud [5] or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. [6] It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. [7] Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.


Application
I will practice loving people as spelled out in John 13:34-35 and 1 Corinthians 13. How about you?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, during my 48 years of marriage, You know better than anyone else that the roughest times between me and Kathy were because of my selfishness. And our best times have been when we have loved each other selflessly! As long as I put Kathy's needs above my own things are good. So help me to always keep You first. Help me to keep Kathy always second in my life. Help me to remember to keep Eddy number #3! I want to finish well.
Daily Bible Reading: John 12,13,14



No comments: