Saturday, December 16, 2017

Husbands Must Give Honor To Your Wives

Husbands
Must Give Honor
To Your Wives
Scripture
1 Peter 3
In the same way, you wives must accept the authority of your husbands. Then, even if some refuse to obey the Good News, your godly lives will speak to them without any words. They will be won over 2 by observing your pure and reverent lives.
3 Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. 4 You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God. 
5 This is how the holy women of old made themselves beautiful. They put their trust in God and accepted the authority of their husbands. 
6 For instance, Sarah obeyed her husband, Abraham, and called him her master. You are her daughters when you do what is right without fear of what your husbands might do.
Husbands
7 In the same way, you husbands must give honor to your wives. Treat your wife with understanding as you live together. She may be weaker than you are, but she is your equal partner in God’s gift of new life. Treat her as you should so your prayers will not be hindered.
Observation
I wish that I could say that every couple that I have had the opportunity to do marriage preparation sessions with that all of them had great marriages like Kathy and I have. I wish that they all did but not all of them do. Marriage takes lot of work. It takes humility. It takes a lot of grace. If we don't constantly work hard to keep our marriage great we drift apart!
For my marriage to be great I have to deny myself and put Kathy first all the time. And that is hard to do because I am selfish just like you.
Do you want your marriage to be all that God designed it to be? … Then die to self.
You don't have to be right all the time. If you got your feelings hurt, get over it and love your spouse whether he or she deserves it or not. Ask for forgiveness no matter who started the fuss. She is your wife. He is your husband. For better … for worse. Stop fighting! By the way, you asking for forgiveness no matter who started the fight in any relationship is God's way of mending and rebuilding friendships.
In marriage “I love you” really means: “I will be there when you lose your job, your health, your parents, your looks, your confidence, your friends. It is a promise that tells your partner, I’ll build you up; I will overlook your weaknesses; I’ll forgive your mistakes; I’ll put your needs above my own; I’ll stick by you when the going gets tough.”
Guys, do you remember this promise that you made when you got married: In the presence of God, our family and friends, I take you, to be my friend, my lover, the mother of my children and my wife. I will be yours in times of plenty and in times of want, in times of sickness and in times of health, in times of joy and in times of sorrow, in times of failure and in times of triumph. I promise to cherish and respect you, to care and protect you, to comfort and encourage you, and stay with you, for all eternity.
We don't threaten to leave when we get into fights. We don't threaten our spouse with divorce. Remember the promise that you made to each other when you got married; the promise to fight fair.
Application
I will continue to try to help couples all that I can. How is your marriage doing?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that just talking about marriage in my blog will bring up old hurts for some people. I realize that some relationships can't be restored because one or both of the people have remarried or maybe one is no longer alive. But I know that there are people that still have time to fix and mend their relationships and I pray this morning that they will. Help them humbly put the needs of others above their own. Give them the strength and the desire to ask for forgiveness and help them to let go of whatever has hurt them. Open their eyes. Show them what they need to do.
Daily Bible Reading: 1 Peter 1,2,3,4,5



No comments: