Friday, March 02, 2018

Whoever Wants To Be First Must Take Last Place And Be The Servant Of Everyone Else


Whoever Wants To Be First
Must Take Last Place
And Be The Servant Of Everyone Else
Scripture
Mark 9

The Greatest in the Kingdom

33 After they arrived at Capernaum and settled in a house, Jesus asked his disciples, “What were you discussing out on the road?”
34 But they didn’t answer, because they had been arguing about which of them was the greatest. 
35 He sat down, called the twelve disciples over to him, and said, “Whoever wants to be first must take last place and be the servant of everyone else.”
Observation
I've been asked to preach on Sunday, March 11th over at West Broad Baptist Church here in town and my thoughts for the message have been on the Kingdom of God vs the Kingdom of self.
My pastor, Bruce Moore just talked about this topic in a message recently and I heard it again at the Marriage Conference from Paul David Tripp.
And now the topic has come up once again in my daily Bible reading!
Funny how that happens when God wants to make sure we get it! I know the same thing happens to you too.
Kingdom of God living is totally upside down from the way we naturally think. The disciples didn't yet understand how the Kingdom of God works and so they were arguing about who was the greatest within their group of 12.
So Jesus sat down and quietly and calmly explained to them that the one who is the greatest servant will be the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Lets apply this principle to our marriage, and the work place, and how we serve at our church … lets apply this Kingdom principle to every area of our lives.
Application
I will look for ways that God wants me to serve the people around me. How about you?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to put Your Kingdom first today. Help me to keep my focus on what You want me to do and not on what I want to do.
Daily Bible Reading: Numbers 30,31; Mark 9



No comments: