Thursday, March 08, 2018

I Threw Myself Down Before The Lord For Forty Days And Forty Nights, And All That Time I Ate No Food And Drank No Water.


I Threw Myself Down
Before The Lord For Forty Days And Forty Nights,
And All That Time I Ate No Food And Drank No Water.
Scripture
Deuteronomy 9
7 “Remember and never forget how angry you made the Lord your God out in the wilderness. From the day you left Egypt until now, you have been constantly rebelling against him. 8 Even at Mount Sinai you made the Lord so angry he was ready to destroy you. 9 This happened when I was on the mountain receiving the tablets of stone inscribed with the words of the covenant that the Lord had made with you. I was there for forty days and forty nights, and all that time I ate no food and drank no water. 
18 “Then, as before, I threw myself down before the Lord for forty days and nights. I ate no bread and drank no water because of the great sin you had committed by doing what the Lord hated, provoking him to anger. 
25 “That is why I threw myself down before the Lord for forty days and nights—for the Lord said he would destroy you. 26 I prayed to the Lord and said, ‘O Sovereign Lord, do not destroy them. They are your own people. They are your special possession, whom you redeemed from Egypt by your mighty power and your strong hand. 
27 Please overlook the stubbornness and the awful sin of these people, and remember instead your servants Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
Observation
As I read Deuteronomy 9 this morning and read about Moses and his prayer life, how he prayed and interceded for the rebellious children of Israel … I was convicted.
Moses went 40 days and 40 nights without eating or drinking, crying out to God begging God not to destroy them. And these were not people living godly lives, no, these were very, very rebellious people.
These were impossible people!
You and I have people that we really want to see come to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. They are on our impossible list.
Do we care enough to pray for them intensely as Moses did?
Although I wouldn't suggest that you and I do a 40 day - 40 night fast going without food or water as Moses did, I do think that this is God's word to us, encouraging us, telling us to ramp up our prayers, never giving up praying for those on our impossible list!
Application
I will pray for those on my impossible list with confidence and boldness, knowing that it is God's desire if for all of them to be saved.
2 Peter 3:9
9 The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent.
Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to pray more intensely for those who need to be saved. Impress on my heart the urgency of their condition and don't let me give up praying for them. I want to see them walking with You. I want to see a transformation happen in their lives and I know that can only happen with a spiritual rebirth. Open their hearts and their spiritual eyes, soften their hearts so that they can trust in Jesus as their Lord and Savior.
Daily Bible Reading: Deuteronomy 7,8,9; Mark 15



No comments: