Monday, June 08, 2020

Get Rid Of All Bitterness, Rage, Anger, Harsh Words, And Slander, As Well As All Types Of Evil Behavior.


Get Rid Of All Bitterness, Rage, Anger, Harsh Words,
And Slander,
As Well As All Types Of Evil Behavior.
Scripture
Ephesians 4
11 Now these are the gifts Christ gave to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers. 
12 Their responsibility is to equip God’s people to do his work and build up the church, the body of Christ.
31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior.
32 Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.
Observation
Ephesians 4 was written for me and you as followers of the Lord Jesus Christ. Sometimes we might tend to think that they weren't written for us, but for someone else. Have you ever heard a sermon and said to yourself, “Oh so and so, he or she really needs to hear this message?”
Of course you have! I have done it myself!
So as I read God's Word this morning I need to remember that first I am reading God's Word for me. It is spiritual food for my soul. But I am also a pastor/teacher (a retired pastor/teacher) so I do think of others as I share my thoughts about what I read.
I have had several people get upset with me recently because I shared Scriptures and they thought that those Scriptures were directed at them and what they were going through.
The truth is that I can't separate myself from the people I love and what is happening in their lives from the Scriptures that I am reading. I read God's Word and you do too (if you read God's Word on a daily basis) through the backdrop of what is happening in your life and what is happening in the lives of those around you.
So Ephesians 4:31-32 are for me to apply first … and then … my friend those two verses are for you too!
Ephesians 4
31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior.
32 Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.
Application
I am reminded this morning that I cannot fix people ... that is the job of the Holy Spirit. I will continue to pray for them asking God to soften their hearts. And if you think that I am wriing about you this morning … then I hope that God answers my prayer!
How about you? Who are you praying for?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, show me the log in my eye so I can help someone else with the speck that they have in their's. It breaks my heart to see people mistreating other people. Help me to be kind, tenderhearted, and forgiving, just as You through Christ have forgiven me.

I continue to pray for the leaders in our country. Give them godly wisdom. I pray for our pastors. Help them to lead us. Help them be men of integrity and faithful to Your Word.
Daily Bible Reading: Ecclesiastes 7,8,9; Ephesians 4



No comments: