Sunday, June 07, 2020

I Love You, LORD; You Are My Strength.


I Love You,
LORD;
You Are My Strength.
Scripture
Psalm 18
1 I love you, Lord;
    you are my strength.
2 The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior;
    my God is my rock, in whom I find protection.
He is my shield, the power that saves me,
    and my place of safety.
3 I called on the Lord, who is worthy of praise,
    and he saved me from my enemies.
Observation
When I think of King David I tend to think of someone who was a strong, valiant, fearless warrior, yes, someone who was never afraid. But I know that description of David is not a totally accurate picture of this mighty man of God.
It is true that David was a mighty warrior, but it is also true that many times he was afraid and his living in constant danger caused him to be totally dependent on His Heavenly Father.
You and I are living through crazy times. We have gone from being in the middle of a pandemic to being right in the middle of civil unrest and neither one has yet run its course. The only certain thing is that our days are going to be filled with uncertainty.
Here is how King David lived his life and it is how we should live ours:
Psalm 56:3
3 But when I am afraid,
    I will put my trust in you.
4 I praise God for what he has promised.
    I trust in God, so why should I be afraid?
    What can mere mortals do to me?
10 I praise God for what he has promised;
    yes, I praise the Lord for what he has promised.
11 I trust in God, so why should I be afraid?
    What can mere mortals do to me?
Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd;
    I have all that I need.
2 He lets me rest in green meadows;
    he leads me beside peaceful streams.
3     He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
    bringing honor to his name.
4 Even when I walk
    through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid,
    for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
    protect and comfort me.
Psalm 46:1-3
1 God is our refuge and strength,
    always ready to help in times of trouble.
2 So we will not fear when earthquakes come
    and the mountains crumble into the sea.
3 Let the oceans roar and foam.
    Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge! 
Psalm 27:1-3
1 The Lord is my light and my salvation—
    so why should I be afraid?
The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger,
    so why should I tremble?
2 When evil people come to devour me,
    when my enemies and foes attack me,
    they will stumble and fall.
3 Though a mighty army surrounds me,
    my heart will not be afraid.
Even if I am attacked,
    I will remain confident.
13 Yet I am confident I will see the Lord’s goodness
    while I am here in the land of the living.
14 Wait patiently for the Lord.
    Be brave and courageous.
    Yes, wait patiently for the Lord.
Application
I will continue to put my trust in the Lord. He will take care of me. He will get me through this difficult time.
How about you?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, I have to admit that both the ongoing pandemic and all of the turmoil in our country has taken its toil on me. Evil is running wild and it doesn't seem to be slowing down. May all of this cause people to seek and cry out to You. You are the only solution to all of this evil. You and You alone.

Help us, Lord. Raise up strong, godly leaders who will lead our country. Raise up brilliant people that will find and provide a cure to the virus. You are King of Kings and Lord of Lords! Nothing is too hard for You.
Daily Bible Reading: Ecclesiastes 4,5,6; Psalms 18; Ephesians 3



No comments: