Monday, June 22, 2020

“Physical Training Is Good, But Training For Godliness Is Much Better, Promising Benefits In This Life And In The Life To Come.”


Physical Training Is Good, But Training For Godliness
Is Much Better,
Promising Benefits In This Life And In The Life To Come.”
Scripture
1 Timothy 4
“Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come.” 
9 This is a trustworthy saying, and everyone should accept it. 
Observation

For everyone of you who are working hard to get your body in shape, the Apostle Paul says to you, that is a good thing to do. But then he goes on to say that there is something way more important than our being physically fit. He says that a spiritual work out, training for godliness is even better.

I am being silently challenged right now by members of my own family, as I watch them work hard to get their bodies in shape. I admire their discipline and determination. And I hope for my sake that it is contagious and I catch what they have! Yes, I really admire their discipline and their sacrifice to reach their goals.

And I hope that they might catch from me ... a little training for godliness. Hopefully they will open up God's Word and spend a little time each day with the Lord training in godliness. I am praying that it is contagious!
2 Peter 1:5-7
5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; 

and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 

and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.

Application
With the Lord's help ... I will discipline my body both physically and spiritually.
How about you? Neglecting the spiritual training or the physical training? Why?
1 Corinthians 9:25-27
25 All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. 
26 So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. 
27 I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank You for Your Word which challenges me every single today to be more and more like You. Help me to put into practice what I read every day. Thank You that You care about both my physical body and my spiritual life and I know that You don't want me to neglect either one. Help me to discipline myself in both areas of my life. Thank You for challenging me by placing people in my life who challenge me to do both.
Daily Bible Reading: 2 Kings 8,9; 2 Chronicles 21; 1 Timothy 4



No comments: