Saturday, January 09, 2016

You Must Turn From Your Selfish Ways, Take Up Your Cross Daily, And Follow Me


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

You Must
Turn From Your Selfish Ways,
Take Up Your Cross Daily, And Follow Me

When Jesus walked this earth and talked to the crowds they had no problem visualizing what Jesus meant in this passage. The cross was a horrible picture of death that was way too common to all of them. They actually saw maybe on a daily basis people carrying their crosses on their way to be crucified. Denying myself, turning from my selfish ways and following Christ is a choice. It is a daily choice. You and I must make that choice today and everyday!

Scripture

Luke 9

23 Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me. 24 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. 25 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but are yourself lost or destroyed?

Observation

When Jesus walked this earth and talked to the crowds they had no problem visualizing what Jesus meant in this passage when He talked about “taking up your cross”. The cross was a horrible picture of death that was way too common to all of them. They actually saw almost on a daily basis people carrying their crosses on their way to be crucified.

The Apostle Paul uses the same imagery in Galatians 2:20 when he says, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me”.

Denying myself, turning from my selfish ways and following Christ is a choice. It is a daily choice. You and I must make that choice today and everyday!

Application

I will follow Christ today. I will put Him first. How about you?


Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to seek You first today. It is so easy for me to be selfish. Help me to put You first, others second, and Eddy last. 


Daily Bible Reading:  Genesis 23,24; Luke 9



Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: