Thursday, June 30, 2016

Turn From Godless Living And Sinful Pleasures


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

Turn From Godless Living
And
Sinful Pleasures


Scripture

Titus 2

12 And we are instructed to turn from godless living and sinful pleasures. We should live in this evil world with wisdom, righteousness, and devotion to God,

14 He gave his life to free us from every kind of sin, to cleanse us, and to make us his very own people, totally committed to doing good deeds.

Observation

Sinful pleasures! You know it and I know it. We know that there is pleasure in those sinful things that we are tempted to do. So why not do them if they are pleasurable?

Here is why!

I will explain with this short story: On Saturday Kathy and I are going out to the beach for a week to be with our extended family. It is an unofficial family reunion!

We have been doing this for over 20 years. It is a great tradition! We are grateful to our two daughters and other family members for helping us with most of the cost of this week at the beach. We couldn’t have gone without their help.

While we are out at the beach I always fish for Walter! (Actually I gave him a break last year and I didn’t take my kayak but this year I am back.)

I have been fishing for that giant fish all of these years and I haven’t caught him yet.

But this year I plan to catch him. I have caught a 5-foot shark in my kayak and cut him loose when I got him reeled in but he was nowhere near the size of famous mythical Walter!

How do I plan on catching him?

I plan to put bait out there that he cannot refuse or resist. I plan on enticing him and tempting him to take the bait. Hidden inside that delicious looking bait is a razor sharp hook waiting for him!

You and I are being enticed just like that every day with sinful pleasures. Satan dangles the bait in front of us and he knows our weaknesses. He knows just where to tempt us. Inside that temptation, inside that sinful pleasure is a razor sharp hook

When we yield to his temptation, when we begin to enjoy the sinful pleasure that he places before us he then sets the hook. Some of us are hooked right now and even though the sin is not as pleasurable as it once was we can’t break free. He has us hooked. We are addicted.

Jesus Christ gave His life to free us from every kind of sin, to cleanse us, and to make us His very own.

Don’t be a fool! Every sinful pleasure comes with its own special razor sharp hook!

How foolish Walter will be if he looks at that bait and takes it, but oh how even more foolish you and I are if we take the bait!

 Application

I will stay in God’s Word so I don’t sin against Him. I will watch out for Satan and his schemes because he is a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. How about you? Psalm 119:9&11, 1 Peter 5:8


Prayer

Heavenly Father, thank You for Your goodness. Thank You for rescuing me from my old sinful life. Help me to live a godly life. Help me to live my life in a way that pleases You. Thank You for allowing us this week at the beach with our family. Bless those that helped us be able to go!

I pray for each and every family member. Help each one of them to see and understand that You are real, that You love them and that You have a special plan for their lives. I pray that You soften and that You open their hearts so that all of our family and extended family can accept and receive Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. And if You let me hook Walter please don’t let him carry me out to sea!

Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation. For the spirit is willing, but the body is weak.” Mark 14:38


Daily Bible Reading:  Amos 7,8,9; Psalms 104; Titus 2



Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: