Saturday, July 15, 2017

For Our Earthly Fathers Disciplined Us For A Few Years, Doing The Best They Knew How.

For Our Earthly Fathers
Disciplined Us For A Few Years,
Doing The Best They Knew How.
Scripture
Hebrews 12
9 Since we respected our earthly fathers who disciplined us, shouldn’t we submit even more to the discipline of the Father of our spirits, and live forever?

10 For our earthly fathers disciplined us for a few years, doing the best they knew how. But God’s discipline is always good for us, so that we might share in his holiness.
Observation

If my Dad were alive today and if I still had the chance to talk to him there is a lot of things that I would like to say to him. But one of the things that I would say to him is this, “Dad, I know that you did the best job you could trying to raise me.”

My Dad was not a follower of Jesus Christ and I really do think that he did the best that he knew how raising me for someone without Christ.

Looking back on my days as a Dad raising his kids, there are definitely a lot of things that I would do differently!

I was way too harsh in the discipline of my children. I was way too focused on work (the ministry) and didn't spend enough fun time with my kids.

And I didn't involve my kids enough in God's work for them to understand and love it and to understand why I did what I did.

I see things differently now that I am older and now that I am a Grandpa!
Family trumps everything! Or …
Or at least I believe that family should trump everything.
My brother Rick, and my two sisters Bea and Linda, and their families are so important to me. I love them so much. And Kathy feels the same way about her brothers and sisters and their families.
Kathy and her brothers and sisters get together every Sunday afternoon just to enjoy each others company! They have always done that and I love it.
Application

I will continue to try to be a good Dad to my grown kids and a good Grandpa to their children. How about you?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to love people like You love me. Help me to show the love of Christ to everyone I come in contact with. I know that I messed up in so many ways in raising my children, but You know that I did the best job that I knew how. Help me to be a good example to my grown kids and help me to be the very best Grandpa to my grandchildren. I pray that all of them would love You with all of their heart, all of their mind, and all of their soul! And help my children do a better job of raising their kids than I did!
Daily Bible Reading: Isaiah 22,23,24; Hebrews 12

> I have made it a habit to pray for those who read this blog! I enjoy lifting you and your family up to the Lord in prayer.




No comments: