Tuesday, August 15, 2017

And This Is The Way To Have Eternal Life --- To Know You, The Only True God, And Jesus Christ, The One You Sent To Earth.

And This Is The Way To Have Eternal Life ---
To Know You, The Only True God,
And Jesus Christ, The One You Sent To Earth.
Scripture
John 17
3 And this is the way to have eternal life—to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth.
Observation

John 17 is the Lord's prayer for us. Jesus' prayer should help remind us that this world is not our home! Someone said to me yesterday, “I don't have a country”. He was lamenting over the direction he sees our country heading. 

I don't like the direction that our country is going either but I see things from a different perspective. This country and this world have never been my permanent home!
I hope that you take time to read John 17, but start at John 16:33 as it sets the context for the Lord's prayer for us in John 17.
John 16:33
33 I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”
Hebrews 11
10 Abraham was confidently looking forward to a city with eternal foundations, a city designed and built by God.
13 All these people died still believing what God had promised them. They did not receive what was promised, but they saw it all from a distance and welcomed it. They agreed that they were foreigners and nomads here on earth. 14 Obviously people who say such things are looking forward to a country they can call their own. 15 If they had longed for the country they came from, they could have gone back. 16 But they were looking for a better place, a heavenly homeland. That is why God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.

Hebrews 13
14 For this world is not our permanent home; we are looking forward to a home yet to come.
1 Peter 3:18
Christ suffered for our sins once for all time. He never sinned, but he died for sinners to bring you safely home to God. He suffered physical death, but he was raised to life in the Spirit.
2 Corinthians 5
1 For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands.

Application
I will look at current events through the lens of God's Word. How about you?
Psalm 119:105
Your word is a lamp to guide my feet
and a light for my path.
Prayer

Heavenly Father, Your Word is so true. In this world we will have trouble! I am holding on to Your Word because it is the only way that life makes sense. Purpose and meaning to life come with a relationship with You through Jesus Christ. You are in control. You are the Good Shepherd and we are Your sheep. Help me to depend and trust in You when my world seems out of control.


Daily Bible Reading: Jeremiah 18,19,20; Psalms 93; John 17





No comments: