Saturday, July 21, 2018

Elijah Was As Human As We Are, And Yet When He Prayed Earnestly That No Rain Would Fall, None Fell For Three And A Half Years!


Elijah Was As Human As We Are,
And Yet When He Prayed Earnestly That No Rain Would Fall,
None Fell For Three And A Half Years!
Scripture
James 5
13 Are any of you suffering hardships? You should pray. Are any of you happy? You should sing praises. 
14 Are any of you sick? You should call for the elders of the church to come and pray over you, anointing you with oil in the name of the Lord.
15 Such a prayer offered in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make you well. And if you have committed any sins, you will be forgiven.
16 Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results. 
17 Elijah was as human as we are, and yet when he prayed earnestly that no rain would fall, none fell for three and a half years! 
18 Then, when he prayed again, the sky sent down rain and the earth began to yield its crops.
Observation
The Bible says, “the earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results”. You and I, if we put God first in our lives, fit the description of a righteous person that our Bible is talking about.
It doesn't mean that we are perfect, Elijah was as human as we are, but look what happened when he prayed! The Bible says that when we are living in a right relationship with God that our prayers are powerful!
God loves to answer the prayers of His children when they are walking in obedience!
So let me ask you, “Are you walking in obedience right now?” Is there un-confessed sin in your life? Are there secret sins that you are unable or unwilling to stop?
If so, let this be your prayer today: “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.” Psalm 139:23-24
In just a few minutes Kathy and I will be going to the graveside service of someone very special to us. Eloise King loved the Lord. She was a long time member of our church.
She lived to the “ripe old age” of 97.
Eloise and her husband Warner served for many years taking care of the Tampa Bay Baptist Assembly Grounds, now known as the Tampa Bay Baptist Conference Center. She was a great cook. She made the best wedding cakes!
Eloise went on several mission trips to Mexico with us, first when she was probably in her 70's and then again in her 80's!
Eloise never acted like an “old person”. What do I mean by that … I mean that she refused to gripe or complain like most of us old folks do - no matter what changes we made at our church, no matter how much she suffered during the time that she was bedridden, she did not complain.
Eloise loved to see lives changed. She was a walking Bible. She was a great Bible teacher. She knew the Word of God and she lived it. As her pastor I was glad that I had her support and I was very glad that I had her praying for me.
Eloise, would be the first to tell you that she was not perfect, but I know that she is one of those that James described in James 5:16 when he said, “The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.”
2 Timothy 4:6-8
As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near. 

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. 

8 And now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing.
Application
I want to live my life in a way that will allow people to talk about me when I die like I just did about my friend Eloise King. How about you?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to live out my life in a close relationship with You. I know that as I put You first in my life You will take care of me. It is Your promise and You keep every promise that You make.
I pray today for any person that may read this blog. Help them to be a righteous person. Help them to strive to live a godly life. Give them the strength and the courage to stay away from sin. Show them that they can trust You with every detail of his or her life. Bless them Lord as they put You first!
Daily Bible Reading: 2 Kings 18,19; 2 Chronicles 32; James 5



No comments: