Thursday, July 12, 2018

Your Kindness Will Reward You, But Your Cruelty Will Destroy You.


Your Kindness
Will Reward You,
But Your Cruelty Will Destroy You.
Scripture
Proverbs 11
17 Your kindness will reward you, but your cruelty will destroy you.
12 It is foolish to belittle one’s neighbor; a sensible person keeps quiet.
Observation

You and I can belittle (To belittle someone is a cruel way of making someone else seem less important than yourself), and we can be cruel to both our spouse and/or to our children.
But if we do put them down, if we are cruel to them, then we, not them, are the ones who are the fool and our cruelty the Bible says, “will destroy us” and, I might add, terribly damages the very ones we love! Lets think about how we talk to one another.
Lets especially think about how we talk to our children and the way we talk to our spouse. There are times when we just need to keep our mouths shut.
While we were out at the beach I made a mean comment to Kathy and the unkind comment of course hurt her feelings. You would think that after 48+ years of marriage I would have learned not to do that. I did know that it was wrong as soon as the words left my mouth.
My friend, that one dumb stupid and totally unnecessary comment completely wiped out a lot of good positive things that I had said and had done with Kathy during the week. If I had only been sensible and if I had only kept my mouth shut.
So I share this with you because maybe it will help you to see that what we say and how we say what we say really does matter.
Once those words leave our mouth … we can't take them back … our kindness will reward us, but our cruelty will destroy us.
Lets watch how we talk to the ones that we love!
Proverbs 12:18
Careless words stab like a sword, but wise words bring healing.

Ephesians 6:4
Fathers, don’t exasperate your children by coming down hard on them. Take them by the hand and lead them in the way of the Master.
Ephesians 4:32
Make a clean break with all cutting, backbiting, profane talk. Be gentle with one another, sensitive. Forgive one another as quickly and thoroughly as God in Christ forgave you.
Application

I will be careful how I talk to my wife, my kids, and my grandkids. How about you?
Psalm 19:14
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to You, Lord, my rock and my Redeemer.
Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to guard my mouth. Don't let me say things that are unkind, that are cruel, that are mean and hurtful. Bring conviction to my heart the moment I say something that is hurtful, and help me to ask the person immediately for their forgiveness. Give me the inner strength to tell them that I am sorry and the courage to ask them to forgive me.

I realize that I am so much unlike You when what I say hurtful and unkind things to someone else. I am a sinner. I am broken. But ... there is no excuse for bad behavior – none. Thank You, that You love me just the way I am, but I know that You love me too much to let me stay the way I am. I am definitely a work in progress. Lord, keep chipping away on me!
Daily Bible Reading: Isaiah 11,12,13,14; Hebrews 9; I added Psalm 11, Psalm 31, Proverbs 11



No comments: