Friday, July 20, 2018

How Do You Know What Your Life Will Be Like Tomorrow?


How Do You Know
What Your Life
Will Be Like Tomorrow?
Scripture
James 4
14 How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog—it’s here a little while, then it’s gone. 
15 What you ought to say is, “If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that.” 
16 Otherwise you are boasting about your own pretentious plans, and all such boasting is evil.
17 Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it.
Observation
Life is fragile! Your life and my life … according to the Bible are both very short. We only have once chance to do it right!
The Bible is very descriptive about how short our lives really are: like a vapor, a mist, a morning fog … it is like a mere breath, a passing shadow, like grass, and like the width of our hand.
A week ago my heart received another shock from my defibrillator/pacemaker, a small device that was implanted into my body 6 years ago. It is the 4th time that it has shocked me back to life.
But this was the first time out of the 4 times getting shocked, that I actually felt it. The first 3 times, I went unconscious before it shocked me, so I didn't even feel the shock! What was the shock like? Lets just say that I am not looking forward to the next time it happens again. It was bad … but ... I am still here.
Knowing that I am always a heartbeat away from death doesn't scare me … I consider it a blessing. The chest pain that I experience and the fatigue that I live with, are both constant reminders to me that this world is not my home, I am only passing through! It is also a reminder to me not to put off doing what I know that God wants me to do, and it is a reminder to me to live how God wants me to live.
Maybe you feel healthy and maybe because of that you feel like you are going to live forever … if so … here is a Bible story that hopefully will make you think. Maybe it will be a wake up call for you. It is found in Luke 12:16-21
A rich man had a fertile farm that produced fine crops.  He said to himself, ‘What should I do? I don’t have room for all my crops.’ Then he said, ‘I know! I’ll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I’ll have room enough to store all my wheat and other goods. 
And I’ll sit back and say to myself, “My friend, you have enough stored away for years to come. Now take it easy! Eat, drink, and be merry!”’
But God said to him, ‘You fool! You will die this very night. Then who will get everything you worked for?’
Yes, a person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God.”
Application
I will concentrate on what I know is important to God – People! How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, my very life, each and every breath that I take, every moment that I live on this earth, they are all under Your control. My prayer to You this morning is from Your Word. I have personalized these verses: “So teach me to number my days that I may get a heart of wisdom. O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am! Behold, you have made my days a few hand-breadths, and my lifetime is as nothing before you.  Yet I do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is my life? For I am a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Help me Lord to remember to say, “If the Lord wills, I will live and do this or that.”
I pray for those who are sick. May his or her sickness draw them closer to You. I pray for healing. Give them Your strength. Help them to see Your hand in what is happening in their life. May they be able to give You glory in spite of their pain and suffering.
Daily Bible Reading: 2 Chronicles 29,30,31; James 4



No comments: