Wednesday, July 18, 2018

But If You Favor Some People Over Others, You Are Committing A Sin.


But If You Favor
Some People Over Others,
You Are Committing A Sin.
Scripture
James 2
8 Yes indeed, it is good when you obey the royal law as found in the Scriptures: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”
9 But if you favor some people over others, you are committing a sin. You are guilty of breaking the law.
Observation
The problem of discrimination and prejudice sure didn't originate in the USA! In fact, in every country that I have spent time in it is prevalent.
It also didn't just start in today's church either because evidently it was a problem and a challenge for Christians when church got its first start!
James, the brother of Jesus, warns us that when we favor some people over others, we are committing a sin!
You and I are called to love people – all people, even people that don't look like us, don't talk like us, don't dress like us, and maybe even don't smell like us!
If we are followers of the Lord Jesus Christ ... we are called to love people – period, all of them! We don't get to pick and choose!
Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world, red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight.
Rich or poor, black or white, all of us are precious in His sight!
John 4:9-10
The woman was surprised, for Jews refuse to have anything to do with Samaritans. She said to Jesus, “You are a Jew, and I am a Samaritan woman. Why are you asking me for a drink?”
Jesus replied, “If you only knew the gift God has for you and who you are speaking to, you would ask me, and I would give you living water.”
Matthew 8:3
Jesus reached out and touched him. “I am willing,” he said. “Be healed!” And instantly the leprosy disappeared.
Luke 19:2,5
There was a man there named Zacchaeus. He was the chief tax collector in the region, and he had become very rich.When Jesus came by, he looked up at Zacchaeus and called him by name. “Zacchaeus!” he said. “Quick, come down! I must be a guest in your home today.”
Application
I will look for and reach out to the marginalized, to those who I think need extra attention. How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I have to admit that it is easier sometimes for me to avoid people that are different than me. Help me to love people like you love them. Give me Your heart for them. Don't let me ever make excuses for discrimination or prejudice when those two things raise their ugly heads.
Daily Bible Reading: Isaiah 32,33,34,35; James 2



No comments: