Tuesday, July 03, 2018

Praying That You Will Put Into Action The Generosity That Comes From Your Faith As You Understand And Experience All The Good Things We Have In Christ.



Praying That You Will Put Into Action
The Generosity That Comes From Your Faith As You Understand
And Experience All The Good Things We Have In Christ.
Scripture
Philemon
4 I always thank my God when I pray for you, Philemon,
5 because I keep hearing about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all of God’s people. 
6 And I am praying that you will put into action the generosity that comes from your faith as you understand and experience all the good things we have in Christ. 
7 Your love has given me much joy and comfort, my brother, for your kindness has often refreshed the hearts of God’s people.
Observation
In case you are not familiar with the short book in the Bible called Philemon I will give you a very quick synopsis; it is a very small 25 verse letter written by the Apostle Paul to a Christian who was also a slave owner and his name was Philemon.
Paul wrote the letter to Philemon to let him know that one of his slaves named Onesimus that had run away from Philemon had run straight into the life of the Apostle Paul and had come to faith in Christ and was now a fellow brother in the Lord. And the Apostle Paul was asking Philemon to have mercy on his new brother in Christ - Onesimus.
It is incomprehensible for us to think that a brother in Christ could also be an owner of a slave or many slaves. But even in the history of our country we have experienced the same horrible thing! It wasn't right then, wasn't right when it happened in our country and a human owning another human is never right, never will be right!
But that is not what I am writing about today. I want to focus on verse six!
Let me paraphrase it: I am praying that you will be as generous with Onesimus as God has been with you through His Son Jesus Christ.
The slave Onesimus had run away from his owner Philemon and in the world he lived in that meant severe punishment for his disobedience. But the Apostle Paul was appealing to Philemon and praying that Philemon would generously offer Onesimus grace and mercy.
People in our lives, they may not deserve for us to be generous with them with our love and generous with our forgiveness, but it is exactly what God expects from us! And it is exactly what they need!
Application
I will generously dish out love and forgiveness to those in my life. How about you? Will you be stingy or generous?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, help me to be generous with all the people in my life today. Thank You for the reminder today in Philemon. I pray for any one that may read this blog today. Help them to be filled with Your grace and help them to be ready to forgive. Help all of us to be generous!
Daily Bible Reading: Isaiah 6,7; 2 Chronicles 26,27; Philemon



No comments: