Monday, July 22, 2019

Don't Slip Back Into Your Old Ways Of Living To Satisfy Your Own Desires.


Don't Slip Back
Into Your Old Ways Of Living
To Satisfy Your Own Desires.
Scripture
1 Peter 1
13 So prepare your minds for action and exercise self-control. Put all your hope in the gracious salvation that will come to you when Jesus Christ is revealed to the world. 
14 So you must live as God’s obedient children. Don’t slip back into your old ways of living to satisfy your own desires. You didn’t know any better then. 
15 But now you must be holy in everything you do, just as God who chose you is holy. 
16 For the Scriptures say, “You must be holy because I am holy.”
Observation

Backsliding is a word that I have heard mentioned quite a bit ever since I first started going to church with my girlfriend Kathy Bearden way back in 1968 – and 50 years later she is still my girlfriend and she is my very best friend!

Before you and I came to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ our old way of living was our only way of living. We didn't know anything else. But when Jesus Christ came into our lives to live within us everything changed, and now we do know the difference.

Going back to the old life to satisfy our own desires isn't going to cut it anymore! You and I are not going to be happy campers if we slip back into our old ways of living. God's Holy Spirit that lives within us will make sure of that!

God warns us over and over again in His Word not to yield to the flesh and slide back to our old ways of living.
Proverbs 14:14
Backsliders get what they deserve; good people receive their reward.
Romans 8:3
... So God did what the law could not do. He sent his own Son in a body like the bodies we sinners have. And in that body God declared an end to sin’s control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins.
1 Corinthians 10:13
13 The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.
Application

I will be careful not to slip back to my old ways of living and I will help those who have yielded to temptation. I will try to help them get back on track.

How about you? Are you walking in sobriety and in victory?


James 5
19 My brothers and sisters, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring that person back, 
20 remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save them from death and cover over a multitude of sins.
2 Corinthians 5:18
All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation:
Prayer
Heavenly Father, help me live a godly life in an ungodly world. Help me influence those around me to walk in Your direction and don't let me be influenced to walk in my old ways of life.
I pray for those striving to walk in sobriety. Give them victory. Don't let them slip back into their old ways of living. Help them, Lord. Bring people alongside them who will support them.
There is always the temptation to sin. Give me the strength to say 'no' to sin. Don't let me miss the way out that You always provide!
Daily Bible Reading: Isaiah 36,37; Psalms 76; 1 Peter 1



No comments: