Thursday, July 18, 2019

Just As The Body Is Dead Without Breath, So Also Faith Is Dead Without Good Works.


Just As The Body Is Dead
Without Breath,
So Also Faith Is Dead Without Good Works.
Scripture
James 2
17 So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.
26 Just as the body is dead without breath, so also faith is dead without good works.
Observation
No, we are not saved by doing good deeds, but James, the brother of Jesus says, our faith is useless unless it produces good works! What have we done this week for someone else?
Last night our men's small group met and we got to enjoy birthday cake because one of our guys bought and brought a cake to celebrate the birthday cake of two men in our group!
The ladies small group celebrated last night too in the room next to us. They had ice cream with all the toppings that you put on ice cream. Some of the ladies in the group brought the ice cream and toppings to make that happen!
When we do something for someone else, when we sacrifice to meet a need, when we help someone else, that is when we are putting our faith into action.
When life is all about us and our main focus is only on having our needs and our own wants met then that is faith that is dead and useless!
Galatians 6:9-10
9 So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. 

10 Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith.

Ephesians 2:8-10

8 Because of his kindness, you have been saved through trusting Christ. And even trusting is not of yourselves; it too is a gift from God. 

9 Salvation is not a reward for the good we have done, so none of us can take any credit for it. 

10 It is God himself who has made us what we are and given us new lives from Christ Jesus; and long ages ago he planned that we should spend these lives in helping others.

Matthew 25:34-40
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. 
35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 
36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’
37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 
38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 
39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’
40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’
Hebrews 10:24-25
24 Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. 
25 And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.
Application
I will look for someone to help over the next few days.
How about you? How will you 'exercise' your faith?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that You didn't put me on this planet to only worry about myself. Show me someone that needs my help. Don't let me be focused only on myself. I have some seen some people going out of their way to help someone else this week and I know that what they did makes You smile. I know that the only way we can serve You is by serving others.

Philippians 2:3-4,14
3 Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. 
4 Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. …
14 Do everything without complaining and arguing,
Daily Bible Reading: Isaiah 32,33,34,35; James 2



No comments: