Friday, April 10, 2020

I Waited Patiently For The Lord To Help Me …


I Waited
Patiently
For The Lord To Help Me …
Scripture
Psalm 40
1 I waited patiently for the Lord to help me,
    and he turned to me and heard my cry.

2 He lifted me out of the pit of despair,
    out of the mud and the mire.
He set my feet on solid ground
    and steadied me as I walked along.

3 He has given me a new song to sing,
    a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see what he has done and be amazed.
    They will put their trust in the Lord.

4 Oh, the joys of those who trust the Lord,
    who have no confidence in the proud
    or in those who worship idols.

5 O Lord my God, you have performed many wonders for us.
    Your plans for us are too numerous to list.
    You have no equal.
If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds,
    I would never come to the end of them.

6 You take no delight in sacrifices or offerings.
    Now that you have made me listen, I finally understand —
    you don’t require burnt offerings or sin offerings.

7 Then I said, “Look, I have come.
    As is written about me in the Scriptures:
8 I take joy in doing your will, my God,
    for your instructions are written on my heart.”
Proverbs 10
25 When the storms of life come, the wicked are whirled away,
    but the godly have a lasting foundation.

Observation
I was affectionately (I am sure that it must have been affectionately!) called by my wife, my kids, and some team members on mission trips, “Chief hurry up and wait!”.
I think of myself as a patient guy, but at the same time I like to get to where ever I am supposed to be on time and on time for me means to get there early and then wait. That is why I am 'affectionately' called “Chief hurry up and wait!”
But this Covid 19 is trying the patience of all of us.
Application

I am ready for the Lord to lift me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. I am ready for the Lord to set my feet on solid ground and steady me as I walk along. I am ready for the Lord to give me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to my God. I am ready for many to see what God has done and be amazed. I am ready for many to put their trust in the Lord. (Psalm 40:1-3 personalized)

Through all of this I am holding on to the promises of God. How about this promise in Proverbs 10:25, “When the storms of life come, the wicked are whirled away, but the godly have a lasting foundation.”
How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I pray that because of this crisis many people will come to faith in You. I pray that Your church will become stronger and stronger as we get to practice being Your hands and Your feet helping those around us. Show us who needs our help. Show us how we can shine in this time of darkness. Help us to be different from the rest of the world. We possess the Words of life. Help us to be generous with all that You have given us.
Daily Bible Reading: 1 Samuel 8,9,10; 2 Corinthians 10; I added: Psalm 10, Psalm 40, Proverbs 10



No comments: