Thursday, April 30, 2020

Open The Mouth Of The First Fish You Catch, And You Will Find A Large Silver Coin. Take It And Pay The Tax For Both Of Us.


Open The Mouth Of The First Fish You Catch,
And You Will Find A Large Silver Coin.
Take It And Pay The Tax For Both Of Us.
Scripture
Matthew 17
24 On their arrival in Capernaum, the collectors of the Temple tax came to Peter and asked him, “Doesn’t your teacher pay the Temple tax?”
25 “Yes, he does,” Peter replied. Then he went into the house.
But before he had a chance to speak, Jesus asked him, “What do you think, Peter? Do kings tax their own people or the people they have conquered?”
26 “They tax the people they have conquered,” Peter replied.
Well, then,” Jesus said, “the citizens are free! 
27 However, we don’t want to offend them, so go down to the lake and throw in a line. Open the mouth of the first fish you catch, and you will find a large silver coin. Take it and pay the tax for both of us.”
Observation
I don't know about you but I love to hear my friends “fish stories”. Friends like Mike Renner, Orville Renner, Bobby Baker, and Hugh Roberts (just to name a few) love to tell their fish stories.
Some of the most interesting stories are about the ones that are able to get away! It is amazing how much bigger those fish tend to get every time the story is retold!
Well my friends might be able to tell some really good fish stories but none of them can top the fish story that fisherman Simon Peter would be able to tell about catching the fish with the large coin in its mouth.
So what is my take away from this fish story?
For me it is this:
God has millions and millions of ways to meet Eddy's needs. And just like Simon Peter all I need to do is to be obedient to what He tells me to do every single day.
Jesus could have just produced the coin and handed it to Simon Peter, but He didn't do that. No, He required obedience. And He requires the same thing from me today!
Matthew 6:33
33 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.
Application
I will listen to the Lord today and I will strive to walk in obedience.
How about you? What is the Lord telling you to do today?
Exodus 20:6
6 But I lavish unfailing love for a thousand generations on those who love me and obey my commands.
Joshua 1:7-8
7 Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do.
8 Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I pray that You bless those men that I mentioned in this blog. Bless their family's too. Each one of them has had an impact on my life. You brought them into my life to make me a better person. And I could have added many more men to the list. Help me to walk in obedience today. As I struggle with my emotions and with my thoughts I pray that through it all I would be pleasing to You.
I have to admit that I am very tired of all of this “sheltering in” and I am more than ready to get back to something closer to what I consider “normal”. I pray and I ask You to stop this plague. Help us to learn the lessons from this experience so it will end. You are All-Powerful. Nothing is too hard for You!
Daily Bible Reading: 2 Samuel 6; 1 Chronicles 13; Psalm 68; Matthew 17



No comments: