Friday, May 01, 2020

Who Is The Greatest In The Kingdom Of Heaven?


Who
Is The Greatest
In The Kingdom Of Heaven?
Scripture
Matthew 18
1 About that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who is greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?”
2 Jesus called a little child to him and put the child among them.
3 Then he said, “I tell you the truth, unless you turn from your sins and become like little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven.
4 So anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.
5 “And anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf is welcoming me.
6 But if you cause one of these little ones who trusts in me to fall into sin, it would be better for you to have a large millstone tied around your neck and be drowned in the depths of the sea.
7 “What sorrow awaits the world, because it tempts people to sin. Temptations are inevitable, but what sorrow awaits the person who does the tempting.
8 So if your hand or foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It’s better to enter eternal life with only one hand or one foot than to be thrown into eternal fire with both of your hands and feet.
9 And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It’s better to enter eternal life with only one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell.
10 “Beware that you don’t look down on any of these little ones. For I tell you that in heaven their angels are always in the presence of my heavenly Father.
Observation
It was an interesting question that the disciples asked Jesus. I don't think that they were expecting His reply. And this wasn't the first time we find them arguing or discussing the topic of who would get the top spot in the Kingdom of Heaven. The desire to be Number One is something that all of us have to constantly fight against.
Me, My, and Mine … those three sure mess up a lot of relationships! I know that when I put Eddy and his needs or his wants above Kathy's needs or her wants it always messes up our relationship. And it is so easy to think of myself first before thinking of those around me.
You and I are called to love those around us with sacrificial love, which means humbling ourselves and serving others.
Mark 10:45
For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
Application
It is not most important what Eddy wants to do today. What is most important is finding out what Kathy wants to do today and enjoy spending time with her. Friday is Kathy's day … not Eddy's!
How about you? Do you need to set the agenda or can you be a servant?
Galatians 6:9-10
9 So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.
10 Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith.
Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to have a servant's heart. Show me when I am putting myself and my desires above the needs of those around me. Give me Your heart for those who come across my path today.

I pray for any person who may take the time to read this blog today. Help them to love sacrificially. Give them a servant heart. Help them to think of something that they can do for someone else today without the need to be recognized for what they do.
Hebrews 13:16
And don’t forget to do good and to share with those in need. These are the sacrifices that please God.
Daily Bible Reading: 1 Chronicles 14,15; Psalm 132; Matthew 18



No comments: