Saturday, May 09, 2020

And Now, In My Old Age, Don't Set Me Aside. Don't Abandon Me When My Strength Is Failing.


And Now, In My Old Age,
Don't Set Me Aside.
Don't Abandon Me When My Strength Is Failing.
Scripture
Psalm 71
9 And now, in my old age, don’t set me aside.
    Don’t abandon me when my strength is failing.
Observation
Some of you youngsters won't understand what I am getting ready to share but if you are in the age group that the Coronavirus task force is always talking about then you will know exactly what I am talking about.
Every morning as I wake up, even before I get out of bed, I discover something else, something new, some different part of my body that has decided to hurt, ache, or completely go on strike. Getting old, getting older is not for the faint of heart! It is not for wimps!
So I join the Psalmist who penned Psalm 71 in saying, “And now, in my old age, don't set me aside. Don't abandon me when my strength is failing.”
As I visit people at the hospital it amazes me how me different things can go wrong with the human body. And yet most of the time, for most of us, even with all the aches and pains our bodies just keep on working! It is amazing!
We need to take time to give God praise and give Him thanks that this complicated thing, called our body, works at all! When you think about the intricacy of the human body it is truly amazing that it works as well as it does.
Psalm 139
13 You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
    and knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
    Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.
15 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
    as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.
16 You saw me before I was born.
    Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
    before a single day had passed.
Application
I will give God thanks today that I woke up to enjoy another day and I will try my best not to complain about my new aches and pains!
How about you? Are you grateful to be alive?
2 Corinthians 4
16 That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day.
17 For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever!
Prayer
Heavenly Father, don't let me take my health for granted. Help me to enjoy and appreciate every good day. I know that this body of mine is wearing out. It was never designed to last forever. Help me not to complain and grumble about what I can no longer do because I lack the strength and stamina. Help me to focus on what I can do. I am fearfully and wonderfully made. I give You praise. Thank You for allowing me to wake up this morning to see another day!
Daily Bible Reading: 2 Samuel 17; Psalms 71; Matthew 26



No comments: