Wednesday, May 06, 2020

The Sacrifice You Desire Is A Broken Spirit. You Will Not Reject A Broken And Repentant Heart, O God.


The Sacrifice You Desire Is A Broken Spirit.
You Will Not Reject
A Broken And Repentant Heart, O God.
Scripture
Psalm 51
16 You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one.
    You do not want a burnt offering.
17 The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.
    You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.
Observation
What does God want from us? What does God want from me? What does God want from you? In Psalm 51, King David shares with us exactly what God desires from us!
You and I just like King David are sinners. We are broken. What God wants from us is for us to acknowledge that we are broken and sinful. He wants us to come to Him with a repentant and broken heart asking Him for forgiveness.
Can you be forgiven of such horrible sins like the sins that King David committed … murder and adultery? Yes, most definitely we can! There is no sin that can't be forgiven except the sin of unbelief.
I am sadly reminded as I read about King David's sin with Bathsheba, and his murder of Bathsheba's husband as he tried to cover up his sin (1 Samuel 11 & 12) that even though my sins can be forgiven, the consequences of my sins not only impact my life, but will negatively impact the lives of those that I love.
David, his family, and his people were never the same after David committed these horrendous sins.
Application

I will guard my heart and I will confess sins as I commit them. I realize that my sins have consequences not only for me but also damage the ones that I love.

How about you?
Proverbs 4:23
Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.
Psalm 51
1 Have mercy on me, O God,
    because of your unfailing love.
Because of your great compassion,
    blot out the stain of my sins.
2 Wash me clean from my guilt.
    Purify me from my sin.
7 Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean;
    wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
8 Oh, give me back my joy again;
    you have broken me—
    now let me rejoice.
9 Don’t keep looking at my sins.
    Remove the stain of my guilt.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    Renew a loyal spirit within me.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me. Keep me from stupid sins, sins that mess up my relationship with you and that mess up my relationship with those who I love. Show me how to live today in a way that makes You smile.
I know that just like King David, I am capable of committing horrible sins if I drift away from a close relationship with You. Don't let me drift away. Keep me close. I want to be under Your protection, under the shelter of Your wings!
Psalm 17:8
Guard me as you would guard your own eyes. Hide me in the shadow of your wings.
Psalm 91:4
He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection.
Daily Bible Reading: 2 Samuel 11,12; Psalms 51; Matthew 23



No comments: