Tuesday, April 21, 2020

He Is My Advocate, And He Will Rescue Me From Your Power!


He Is My Advocate,
And He Will Rescue Me
From Your Power!
Scripture
1 Samuel 24
12 “May the Lord judge between us. Perhaps the Lord will punish you for what you are trying to do to me, but I will never harm you. 

13 As that old proverb says, ‘From evil people come evil deeds.’ So you can be sure I will never harm you. 

14 Who is the king of Israel trying to catch anyway? Should he spend his time chasing one who is as worthless as a dead dog or a single flea? 

15 May the Lord therefore judge which of us is right and punish the guilty one. He is my advocate, and he will rescue me from your power!”

Observation
David's enemy, King Saul, was within David's grasp and David could easily have killed Saul, but instead David cut off a piece of the King's robe. After he cut off a piece of the king's robe, David realized that even that was wrong for him to do. David's soldiers wanted to kill King Saul, but David wouldn't let them harm the king.
There is a Biblical principle that King David understood, and it is one that you and I need to understand and put into practice too!
This super important principle is illustrated over and over and over again in Scripture through the lives of many Biblical characters! For example: Joseph, Mordecai, David, Jesus, and the Apostle Paul ... just to name a few!
Here is the principle: God is our advocate. He will take care of our enemies. Vengeance, pay back, revenge, getting even is always the Lord's responsibility, it is never ever our's.
Matthew 5:43-44
43 “You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’ and hate your enemy. 
44 But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!
Romans 12:19-20
19 Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God. For the Scriptures say, “I will take revenge; I will pay them back,” says the Lord.
20 Instead, “If your enemies are hungry, feed them. If they are thirsty, give them something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals of shame on their heads.”
Psalm 94:1

1 O Lord, the God of vengeance, O God of vengeance, let your glorious justice shine forth!

Application
I will trust the Lord and I will let him take care of my enemies!
How about you? Is your heart set on revenge … on getting even, or is your heart filled with love and forgiveness? The choice is ours to make!
Is our God big enough to take care of our enemies, or is He so small that He needs our help?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, fill my heart with Your love, with Your mercy, and help me to be generous with love and forgiveness! You are my advocate. You will save me from all of my enemies. Vengeance is Yours. You will settle all accounts and please always remind me that You don't need my help to do it.
Daily Bible Reading: 1 Samuel 24; Psalm 57,58; 1 Chronicles 8; Matthew 8



No comments: