Wednesday, April 01, 2020

In Fact, We Expected To Die. But As A Result, We Stopped Relying On Ourselves And Learned To Rely Only On God,Who Raises The Dead.


In Fact, We Expected To Die. But As A Result,
We Stopped Relying On Ourselves And Learned
To Rely Only On God,Who Raises The Dead.
Scripture
2 Corinthians 1
3 All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. 
4 He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. 
5 For the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ.
8 We think you ought to know, dear brothers and sisters, about the trouble we went through in the province of Asia. We were crushed and overwhelmed beyond our ability to endure, and we thought we would never live through it.
 9 In fact, we expected to die. But as a result, we stopped relying on ourselves and learned to rely only on God, who raises the dead. 
10 And he did rescue us from mortal danger, and he will rescue us again. We have placed our confidence in him, and he will continue to rescue us.
Observation
Who am I going to rely on during this crisis?
The apostle Paul writing to the church in Corinth an he was talking about the trouble, the crisis that he had gone through in Asia and he said, “We were crushed and overwhelmed beyond our ability to endure, and we thought we would never live through it. In fact, we expected to die.”
You have probably heard some people mistakenly say that God will never put on us more than we are able to handle … That is so wrong!
I think people might get that erroneous idea from 1 Corinthians 10:13, “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”
The Apostle Paul was talking about being tempted to sin in that verse. He was not talking about the trials and hardships that life throws at us!
If the Apostle Paul could reach a point of feeling crushed and overwhelmed beyond his ability to endure then I think that Eddy could also find himself in that same situation.
Application
So when I am crushed and overwhelmed beyond my ability to endure and I come to the point of expecting to die what am I going to do?
Eddy is going to rely on the God, who raises the dead!
How about you? Where are you going to turn for help?
Psalm 121:1-2
1 I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
    where does my help come from?

2 My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, You are my hiding place. You are my refuge. You are the source of all comfort and compassion. When I am afraid I will trust in You. When I feel crushed and overwhelmed beyond my ability to endure I will rely on You. You have always taken care of me and I know that You will continue to take care of me. You have me in the palm of your hand. Be glorified through my life.
I pray for those who do not have a relationship with You. I pray that they will turn to You during this time of need.
Psalm 56:3
3 When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.
Daily Bible Reading: Judges 11,12; Psalms 50; 2 Corinthians 1



No comments: