Sunday, April 26, 2020

There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.


There is no greater love
than
to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
Scripture
John 15
9 “I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. 
10 When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love.
11 I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! 
12 This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you.
13 There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 
14 You are my friends if you do what I command.
Observation
This passage is today's Sunday School lesson that normally we would be going over at church, but today in a few minutes, my very good friend Orville Renner will be leading our group today online via Google Hangout!
Kathy was reading yesterday preparing for today's Sunday School lesson and she came to me with the Sunday School Study Guide in her hand and she said, “I want to read this to you.”
Kathy read out loud to me,
Jesus did not leave the command to love nebulous or vague. He directed us to love people in the specific way He loved. How did Jesus show His love? He gave. He forgave. He pardoned. He was gracious, kind, merciful, sacrificial, and intentional. When you love people as Jesus does, you begin to break down their defenses. The spark of relational love is found in unforseen moments of love.”
Then she said, “This is what we have to do with “_________” . She was talking about someone in our family who has been so hard for us to have a good relationship with. This person has been so hard for us to win over with our love. She said, “We just have to figure out how to show this person how much we love him.”
We are not going to give up!
Maybe you have some difficult people in your life too! I hope John 15:9-14 encourages you not to give up on loving them!
Dr. Waylon B. Moore calls these difficult people that God places or allows in our lives, “Spiritual Sandpaper”. God will use them to work on us to make us more like His Son Jesus Christ!
Application
I will continue to pray for this person, and I will continue asking God to show us how to express our love towards this person.
How about you? Do you have any Spiritual Sandpaper People in your life?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, You have shown us how to love unconditionally. Help me to do just that. Show me how to love difficult people. Don't let me give up on them. Give me the capacity to love them even when they act like they don't care for me and when they act like I am a bother to them. Don't let me ever give up.
I pray for any person reading this blog today who feels unloved. Wrap Your arms around them today. May they sense Your love. Encourage them today, Lord. Bring people into their life who will love them unconditionally!
Daily Bible Reading: 2 Samuel 1; Psalm 140; Matthew 13; I added: John 15



No comments: