Wednesday, August 19, 2020

“Lord, You Know Everything. You Know That I Love You.”

 Click Here for Daily Bible Reading!

Lord,

You Know Everything.

You Know That I Love You.”

Scripture

John 21

15 After breakfast Jesus asked Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”

Yes, Lord,” Peter replied, “you know I love you.”

Then feed my lambs,” Jesus told him.

16 Jesus repeated the question: “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

Yes, Lord,” Peter said, “you know I love you.”

Then take care of my sheep,” Jesus said.

17 A third time he asked him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, “Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Then feed my sheep.

...

20 Peter turned around and saw behind them the disciple Jesus loved—the one who had leaned over to Jesus during supper and asked, “Lord, who will betray you?” 

21 Peter asked Jesus, “What about him, Lord?”

Observation

John 20:30-31 seems like the ending to the Gospel of John when John wrote, “The disciples saw Jesus do many other miraculous signs in addition to the ones recorded in this book. But these are written so that you may continue to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing in him you will have life by the power of his name”, but then John must have remembered the restoration of Simon Peter and he added John 21.

If you remember that it was during Jesus' arrest that Simon Peter denied knowing Jesus three different times just as Jesus had said that he would. Now Jesus is talking to Peter and three different times He asked the question, “Simon, do you love me?” And three different times Simon Peter had to say back to the Lord, “Yes, Lord, You know that I love you!”

A little later in the conversation Simon Peter did just what you and I tend to do – Peter looked over at the Apostle John and asked, “What about him, Lord?

Application

The Lord is asking the same question today, “Eddy, do you love me?” And He is not wanting me to look around and ask Him about someone else.

How about you? Do you love Him?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I am so glad that You are a God of second chances. I am so glad that You do not give up on us and that You did not give up on me. I know that more than anything else You want me to love You with all of my heart. And You want me to show that love by serving and loving others. Help me to not worry about what others are doing or what others are not doing, instead help me focus on the main thing - which is loving You.

Daily Bible Reading: Jeremiah 45,46,47; Psalms 105; John 21

Click Here for Daily Bible Reading!



No comments: