Sunday, August 16, 2020

“Who Are You Looking For? “ He Asked. “Jesus The Nazarene,” They Replied. “I AM He,” Jesus Said.

 Click Here for Daily Bible Reading!

Who Are You Looking For? “ He Asked.

Jesus The Nazarene,” They Replied.

I AM He,” Jesus Said.

Scripture

John 18

 After saying these things, Jesus crossed the Kidron Valley with his disciples and entered a grove of olive trees. 

2 Judas, the betrayer, knew this place, because Jesus had often gone there with his disciples. 

3 The leading priests and Pharisees had given Judas a contingent of Roman soldiers and Temple guards to accompany him. Now with blazing torches, lanterns, and weapons, they arrived at the olive grove.

4 Jesus fully realized all that was going to happen to him, so he stepped forward to meet them. “Who are you looking for?” he asked.

5 “Jesus the Nazarene,” they replied.

I am he,” Jesus said. (Judas, who betrayed him, was standing with them.) 

6 As Jesus said “I am he,” they all drew back and fell to the ground! 

7 Once more he asked them, “Who are you looking for?”

And again they replied, “Jesus the Nazarene.”

8 “I told you that I am he,” Jesus said. “And since I am the one you want, let these others go.” 

9 He did this to fulfill his own statement: “I did not lose a single one of those you have given me.

...

36 Jesus answered, “My Kingdom is not an earthly kingdom. If it were, my followers would fight to keep me from being handed over to the Jewish leaders. But my Kingdom is not of this world.”

37 Pilate said, “So you are a king?”

Jesus responded, “You say I am a king. Actually, I was born and came into the world to testify to the truth. All who love the truth recognize that what I say is true.”

38 “What is truth?” Pilate asked. Then he went out again to the people and told them, “He is not guilty of any crime. 

39 But you have a custom of asking me to release one prisoner each year at Passover. Would you like me to release this ‘King of the Jews’?”

40 But they shouted back, “No! Not this man. We want Barabbas!” (Barabbas was a revolutionary.)

Observation

There is so much action in John 18 as John describes the arrest of Jesus.

So many different people thought that they were in charge of the situation – Judas, the betrayer, the cohort or contingent of Roman soldiers, the Temple guards, the leading Priests and Pharisees, Pilate, and even Simon Peter, at least Peter did for a nano second, when he drew his sword and slashed off the right ear of Malchus, the high priest’s slave. (He wasn't trying to slash off just the ear!)

When that ear hit the ground and Simon Peter realized what he had done I think that he looked to the One who was really in charge – Jesus!

Can you visualize the scene?

Jesus steps forward to meet his enemies and asks, “Who are you looking for?”... “Jesus the Nazarene,” they replied. I am he,” Jesus said. As Jesus said “I am he,” they all drew back and fell to the ground! Once more he asked them, “Who are you looking for?” And again they replied, “Jesus the Nazarene.” “I told you that I am he,” Jesus said. “And since I am the one you want, let these others go.”

Jesus allowed Himself to be arrested, tortured, nailed to a cross to die a criminals death to pay the price for my sins and your sins. He didn't stay in that tomb. He arose on the 3rd day and one day soon He is coming again.

Jesus was in charge then and Jesus is in charge now. Not one thing that is happening right now catches Him by surprise.

When He returns He will return as Victor

Revelation 19

11 Then I saw heaven opened, and a white horse was standing there. Its rider was named Faithful and True, for he judges fairly and wages a righteous war. 

12 His eyes were like flames of fire, and on his head were many crowns. A name was written on him that no one understood except himself. 

13 He wore a robe dipped in blood, and his title was the Word of God. 

14 The armies of heaven, dressed in the finest of pure white linen, followed him on white horses. 

15 From his mouth came a sharp sword to strike down the nations. He will rule them with an iron rod. He will release the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty, like juice flowing from a winepress. 

16 On his robe at his thigh was written this title: King of all kings and Lord of all lords.

Application

Jesus is in control of my life even when things seem out of control. I will trust Him.

How about you?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, if I didn't have all the promises in Your Word that You were going to take care of me I would have plenty to worry about. I am going to hold on to Your promises when things seem to be going in the wrong direction. Promises like Jeremiah received in Jeremiah 29:11 I can also claim because I am one of Your children: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

Daily Bible Reading: 2 Kings 24; Jeremiah 22; Psalms 112; John 18

Click Here for Daily Bible Reading!



No comments: