Monday, August 17, 2020

Then Jesus Came Out Wearing The Crown Of Thorns And The Purple Robe. And Pilate Said, “Look, Here Is The Man!”

 Click Here for Daily Bible Reading!

Then Jesus Came Out Wearing The Crown Of Thorns

And The Purple Robe.

And Pilate Said, “Look, Here Is The Man!”

Scripture

John 19

1 Then Pilate had Jesus flogged with a lead-tipped whip.

2 The soldiers wove a crown of thorns and put it on his head, and they put a purple robe on him.

3 “Hail! King of the Jews!” they mocked, as they slapped him across the face.

4 Pilate went outside again and said to the people, “I am going to bring him out to you now, but understand clearly that I find him not guilty.”

5 Then Jesus came out wearing the crown of thorns and the purple robe. And Pilate said, “Look, here is the man!”

6 When they saw him, the leading priests and Temple guards began shouting, “Crucify him! Crucify him!”

Take him yourselves and crucify him,” Pilate said. “I find him not guilty.”

7 The Jewish leaders replied, “By our law he ought to die because he called himself the Son of God.”

8 When Pilate heard this, he was more frightened than ever.

9 He took Jesus back into the headquarters again and asked him, “Where are you from?” But Jesus gave no answer.

10 “Why don’t you talk to me?” Pilate demanded. “Don’t you realize that I have the power to release you or crucify you?”

11 Then Jesus said, “You would have no power over me at all unless it were given to you from above. So the one who handed me over to you has the greater sin.” ...

16 Finally Pilate handed him over to them to be crucified. So the soldiers took charge of Jesus.

17 Carrying his own cross, he went out to the place of the Skull (which in Aramaic is called Golgotha). 

18 There they crucified him, and with him two others—one on each side and Jesus in the middle.

Observation

To be perfectly honest with you I would have liked to have skipped over John chapter 19 and gone on to chapter 20 this morning. I was even tempted to read in the Psalms to find a promise to share with you rather than focus and write about the crucifixion of Jesus.

Do you remember the movie, “The Passion Of The Christ”? What a great movie, but it was so real that I could only watch it one time. The crucifixion of our Lord was terrible and yet the cross and Jesus' death on the cross is so essential to our faith.

Jesus' horrific death on the cross, His suffering and pain, everything that He experienced at the hands of the Roman soldiers, He did it for me and for you.

He paid a high price for our salvation.

I also read John 19 this morning knowing that I would be reading John 20 tomorrow! Plus, I have read Revelation so I know how the story ends!

Revelation 19

11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and wages war. 

12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. 

13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. 

14 The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. 

15 Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. “He will rule them with an iron scepter.” He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. 

16 On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written:

king of kings and lord of lords.

Application

Today I will think about what Jesus did for me and I will take time to give Him thanks.

How about you?

Isaiah 53:2-10

2 He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
    and like a root out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
    nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

3 He was despised and rejected by mankind,
    a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
Like one from whom people hide their faces
    he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.

4 Surely he took up our pain
    and bore our suffering,
yet we considered him punished by God,
    stricken by him, and afflicted.

5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,
    he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
    and by his wounds we are healed.

6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
    each of us has turned to our own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
    the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed and afflicted,
    yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
    and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
    so he did not open his mouth.

8 By oppression and judgment he was taken away.
    Yet who of his generation protested?
For he was cut off from the land of the living;
    for the transgression of my people he was punished.

9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
    and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
    nor was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
    and though the 
Lord makes his life an offering for sin,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
    and the will of the 
Lord will prosper in his hand.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, when I read John 19 and Isaiah 53 it grieves me to think about all that Jesus went through just to provide a way for me to be saved. I am such a sinner. I don't deserve Your forgiveness. And my forgiveness came at such a high price. All that I can say is “Thank You”. Thank You for suffering and dying in my place so that I can live forever. Thank You for paying such a high price for my salvation. Worthy is the Lamb that was slain! You are worthy. You alone are worthy of all praise!

Daily Bible Reading: Jeremiah 23,24,25; John 19

Click Here for Daily Bible Reading!



No comments: