Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Love Means Doing What God Has Commanded Us …

 Click Here for Daily Bible Reading!

Love

Means Doing

What God Has Commanded Us …

Scripture

2 John

5 I am writing to remind you, dear friends, that we should love one another. This is not a new commandment, but one we have had from the beginning.

Love means doing what God has commanded us, and he has commanded us to love one another, just as you heard from the beginning.

Observation

Hard headed … the reason that God reminds us over and over and over again in Scripture to love one another is because we are hard headed and we have hard hearts.

We get hurt, we get our feelings hurt, someone wrongs us, someone does something to hurt us or our family, and we don't want to love them, we want to hurt them back. But God commands us to love.

Love is a choice. Love requires action not just words. I love them but … if there is a 'but' after the phrase 'I love them' then it is probably not love at all, at least it is probably not God's kind of love! His love is unconditional!

Love means doing what God has commanded us …

John 14:21

21 Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

Matthew 5:43-44

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 

44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 

Application

I love you. I am sorry. Will you forgive me? I will use these 3 phrases often.

How about you? Generous – Greedy – Selfish – Loving?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me remember … don't let me forget … that Your kingdom operates on completely different rules than this world does. And I know that You do not want me to live like a person of this world. I am just passing through. This is not my home. Help me to love deeply, forgive quickly, and show the people around me that I belong to You. I am blessed. You have a million ways to take care of me and my family and You will do that just as long as I put You and Your kingdom first in my life. Don't let me get tricked into following the rules of this world.

Daily Bible Reading: Jeremiah 37,38,39; Psalms 79; 2 John

Click Here for Daily Bible Reading!



No comments: