Friday, August 24, 2018

Dear Children, Keep Away From Anything That Might Take God's Place In Your Hearts.


Dear Children,
Keep Away From Anything
That Might Take God's Place In Your Hearts.
Scripture
1 John 5
21 Dear children, keep away from anything that might take God’s place in your hearts.
Observation
What do you and I need to stay away from?
The Apostle John ends his letter with one final warning and this is a warning for all Christians - stay away from “any-thing” that could take God's place in our hearts!
Good things, even fun things – all have the potential to take God's number one place in our hearts.
Football season has arrived – it is okay to watch a game, but come on – do we have to miss church on Sunday, just to get out to the stadium early to tailgate?
Fishing and hunting, nothing wrong with those sports, but how easily they can ruin a marriage and a family when abused. When every weekend is spent either in the woods or out on a boat then we have let our love for the outdoors take the place of God in our hearts!
Any “thing” that takes us away from having God as number one in our life is an idol … it has become a god (notice the little “g”).
By the way, anything that takes God's place in my heart, also has the potential to destroy me and has the potential to destroy my family.
I minister to families every week whose lives have been shattered by a member of their family letting some “thing” take God's place in his or her heart.
So … let me ask … does any “thing” need to change? Does God have first place in our lives today?
Application
I will make sure that nothing in my life has taken God's number one place in my heart.
How about you?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, don't let me get so carried away with some “thing” that it takes Your place in my heart. Don't let me replace You with anything. I want to keep You number one in my life. I realize that Satan is always trying to distract me and he is always trying to trick me. He is always trying to get me to make something else in my life more important than You. Don't let him be successful.
I pray for anyone that may be reading this blog that has allowed his or her life to get out of balance. Help them today to put You first in their life again.
Daily Bible Reading: Jeremiah 33,34; Psalms 74; 1 John 5



No comments: