Saturday, August 11, 2018

I Am Giving You A New Commandment: Love Each Other. Just As I Have Loved You, You Should Love Each Other.


I Am Giving You A New Commandment:
Love Each Other.
Just As I Have Loved You, You Should Love Each Other.
Scripture
John 13
34 So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. 

35 Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.”

Observation
Love one another, is not simply a suggestion. It is a command. And this love that Jesus is talking about is not some mushy emotional touchy-feel y kind of love. The love that Jesus is commanding us to have for one another is always a choice.
Every single moment of every single day you and I must make the choice to love. It is a struggle because we are by nature – selfish! So ...Whether we feel like it or not, or whether the person deserves it or not, you and I are commanded to love them. If love, agape love, came easy for us then Jesus would not have had to command us to do it.
When a marriage partner says, “I don't love you any more. What they are really saying is, “I don't choose to love you any more. Proof that agape love is not easy is the fact that in our country the divorce rate is: 41 percent of first marriages end in divorce, 60 percent of second marriages end in divorce, and 73 percent of third marriages end in divorce.
Love, agape love, takes a lot of work. It is self – less, it is not selfish! It is putting other people's needs above my own. It takes a lot of effort.
Hate on the other hand, in contrast to love, is something that requires no work. It is easy. It is so much easier to dislike people or a group of people rather than to love them.
When you and I meet a person's deepest needs that is showing agape love. It is a love that comes from a personal relationship with God through His Son Jesus Christ. God is love.
The kind of love that Jesus is talking about is 1 Corinthians 13 kind of love:  
Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.  Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.”
Guys, love your wives with this kind of love and you won't have any problem with her showing you respect!
Application
I will look for ways to meet the deepest needs of those that God brings across my path.
How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, you know exactly how selfish I am. You know everything about me. Help me to love people with Your love. Help me to see and help me to meet the needs of the people that you bring into my life.
I pray for those who are going through difficulties in their marriage. Draw them close to You. Help them to get through the rough times. Give them the ability to love even when love is not returned back to them.
Daily Bible Reading: Jeremiah 7,8,9; John 13



No comments: