Sunday, August 19, 2018

Simon Peter Said, “I'm Going Fishing.” “Fellows, Have You Caught Any Fish?” “No”, They Replied.


Simon Peter Said, “I'm Going Fishing.”
Fellows, Have You Caught Any Fish?”
No”, They Replied.
Scripture
John 21
Later, Jesus appeared again to the disciples beside the Sea of Galilee.
This is how it happened.
2 Several of the disciples were there—Simon Peter, Thomas (nicknamed the Twin), Nathanael from Cana in Galilee, the sons of Zebedee, and two other disciples.
3 Simon Peter said, “I’m going fishing.”
We’ll come, too,” they all said. So they went out in the boat, but they caught nothing all night.
4 At dawn Jesus was standing on the beach, but the disciples couldn’t see who he was.
5 He called out, “Fellows, have you caught any fish?”
No,” they replied.
6 Then he said, “Throw out your net on the right-hand side of the boat, and you’ll get some!”
So they did, and they couldn’t haul in the net because there were so many fish in it.
Observation
Nothing wrong with fishing! I love to fish for fish myself.
Simon Peter and the other disciples, many of them fishermen, in fact had been called by Jesus to fish, but Jesus had called them to be fishers of men, to fish for people!
Jesus didn't get on to them when he found them fishing for fish instead of men, but He did use the occasion to drive home one last lesson – “one last lesson on obedience”.
After this encounter with Jesus, and after Jesus went back to Heaven, and after the disciples were filled with God's Holy Spirit at Pentecost, we never read about the disciples fishing for fish again.
No, they were way too busy fishing for men.
No matter who we are, no matter what we do for a living, no matter what we do for a hobby, doesn't matter whether we are in good health or bad, if we are a followers of Jesus Christ then our main calling is to be fishers of men.
Who is going to be in Heaven because of me?
Who is going to be in Heaven because of you?
The main thing always needs to be the main thing! You and I are called to tell people about our Jesus!
Matthew 4:19
19 Jesus called out to them, “Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!”
Acts 2:40-41
Then Peter continued preaching for a long time, strongly urging all his listeners, “Save yourselves from this crooked generation!” Those who believed what Peter said were baptized and added to the church that day—about 3,000 in all.
Application
I will look for someone to talk to about Jesus. How about you?
Who will be in Heaven because of us?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, I haven't been fishing, fishing for fish, for a long time and that is okay, because I get to fish for people every week! Help me to keep the main the main thing in my life. It is so easy for me to get sidetracked. Give me opportunities to be a witness for You. Don't let me miss a chance to tell someone about Jesus.
I pray for anyone that may be reading this blog today. If they have not yet trusted in Jesus for his or her salvation then open up their spiritual eyes and help them to do that today. For someone that is already a believer I pray that You give them courage to be a bold witness for You.
Daily Bible Reading: Jeremiah 45,46,47; Psalms 105; John 21



No comments: