Wednesday, August 01, 2018

He Must Become Greater And Greater, And I Must Become Less And Less


He Must Become
Greater And Greater,
And I Must Become Less And Less
Scripture
John 3
30 He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less.
Observation
As you probably already know John the Baptist and Jesus were second cousins. We don't know how much time, if any, they spent together growing up.
There is a lot that we don't know, but this much we do know, we know that John the Baptist recognized that his cousin was no ordinary cousin.
John the Baptist recognized that his cousin was the Lamb of God, the Messiah, the One that God had sent from Heaven to take away our sins!
Here is one of many lessons that I see in John chapter three:
If Eddy wants to be great in the Kingdom of God then Eddy has got to put Jesus first, “He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less.”
Don't you know that it was hard on John the Baptist's ego when all of the crowds that had been following him began to leave him and follow his cousin Jesus!
And yet, John dealt with this rise in popularity of his cousin with humility.
Another lesson that can be gleaned from the life of John the Baptist is this: As a leader, I must be thick skinned, I can let every little thing hurt my feelings. I can't go around wearing my feelings on my shirt sleeves, and my friend, neither can you.
John the Baptist was tough. He was rugged. He was a man that ate locusts and wild honey and wore clothes made of coarse camel hair. He was tough skinned, rugged, and yet he was humble!
My task and your task if we are followers of Jesus Christ, I think, is three-fold:
  1. Tell people about Jesus.
  2. Help our church grow.
  3. Don't worry about who gets the credit.
Matthew 18:4
So anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.
Mark 9:35
He sat down, called the twelve disciples over to him, and said, “Whoever wants to be first must take last place and be the servant of everyone else.”
Application
I will tell people about Jesus. I will help our church to grow. I will not worry about who gets the credit. How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, help me to live my life in such a godly way that others can imitate it. Help me to be like Jesus.
I pray for our leadership. Help each one of them to be successful. Help each of them to live godly lives, lives that we can follow and imitate. I pray for our pastors. Protect them Lord. I know Satan would love to destroy them. Help them to stay in Your Word and help them to stay close to You. I pray for their families. I know that Satan will attack their families to try to hurt them and to try bring them down.
Daily Bible Reading: Isaiah 65,66; Psalms 62; John 3



No comments: