Thursday, August 02, 2018

“You Are A Jew, And I Am A Samaritan Woman. Why Are You Asking Me For A Drink?”


You Are A Jew,
And I Am A Samaritan Woman.
Why Are You Asking Me For A Drink?”
Scripture
John 4
9 The woman was surprised, for Jews refuse to have anything to do with Samaritans. She said to Jesus, “You are a Jew, and I am a Samaritan woman. Why are you asking me for a drink?”
10 Jesus replied, “If you only knew the gift God has for you and who you are speaking to, you would ask me, and I would give you living water.”
11 “But sir, you don’t have a rope or a bucket,” she said, “and this well is very deep. Where would you get this living water? 12 And besides, do you think you’re greater than our ancestor Jacob, who gave us this well? How can you offer better water than he and his sons and his animals enjoyed?”
13 Jesus replied, “Anyone who drinks this water will soon become thirsty again. 14 But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life.”
15 “Please, sir,” the woman said, “give me this water! Then I’ll never be thirsty again, and I won’t have to come here to get water.”
Observation
To say that the Jews and the Samaritans disliked each other would be putting it lightly. A Jewish person would avoid even traveling through Samaria, but Jesus went through Samaria because He loves all of us.
Not only did Jesus being a Jew talk to a Samaritan, but He talked to a Samaritan woman. Women were also considered to have less value back then than men, but Jesus made a point to talk to this Samaritan woman.
This woman had been married 5 times before and Jesus knew that the man that she was living with was not her husband. Knowing all of this Jesus did not condemn the woman for her sin, instead He told her and all of the other Samaritans that lived in her village the Good News that He was the Messiah, the Savior of the world. He came to save them from the penalty of their sins.
Here is my take away from this story:
Every person that I come in contact with has tremendous value, no matter what color, no matter how rich or how poor, no matter whether they are male or female, or how sinful their life has become, all of them matter to God.
Each person that God brings across my path and that God brings across your path needs a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. It is our job to love them and share Jesus with them!
And maybe because of our witness a whole village of people will come to Christ!
Acts 10:34
Then Peter began to speak. “I now realize how true it is that God treats everyone the same,” he said.
Application
With God's help, I will not be a respecter of persons.
How about you?
Prayer
Father, give me Your eyes and Your heart and help me see people as You see them. Don't let me think that I am in any way better than anyone else. I pray for those who are homeless and those whose lives are being destroyed by addictions. Show me how I can help them Lord. I pray for those people who are marginalized, for what ever reason, help me to be sensitive to their needs. Thank You for those in our church who participate in Celebrate Recovery, and I pray especially for our leaders of CR. Bless them Lord.
Daily Bible Reading: 2 Kings 21; 2 Chronicles 33; John 4



No comments: