Monday, August 06, 2018

Even Though The Fig Trees Have No Blossoms, And There Are No Grapes On The Vines; ... Yet I Will Rejoice In The Lord!


Even Though The Fig Trees Have No Blossoms,
And There Are No Grapes On The Vines; ...
Yet I Will Rejoice In The Lord!
Scripture
Habakkuk 3
17 Even though the fig trees have no blossoms,
    and there are no grapes on the vines;
even though the olive crop fails,
    and the fields lie empty and barren;
even though the flocks die in the fields,
    and the cattle barns are empty,
18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord!
    I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!
19 The Sovereign Lord is my strength!
    He makes me as surefooted as a deer,
    able to tread upon the heights.
Observation

God does not promise us a trouble free life! In fact, Jesus tells us very plainly that in this world we will have trouble (John 16:33).
Trouble, trouble, trouble, it comes our way no matter who we are – it seems to be attracted to all of us like a magnet.
Like huge waves caused by a storm, troubles in life can be overwhelming. They can drown us.
If we are not careful we can spend our entire life overwhelmed by the fear of “what if”.
What if my health completely fails? What if I lose my spouse? What if we don't have enough money to pay our bills? What if my grown kids never return to the Lord? What if I am never able to have victory over this addiction?
What if – what if – what if! Yes, the “what ifs” of life can overwhelm us!
Can I make a suggestion? Instead of letting the fear of - what if - paralyze us, lets do what the prophet Habakkuk did.
When he prayed for God's help he changed the “what if” with “even if” and that is exactly what you and I must do if we are going to live by faith.
So here is my paraphrase of Habakkuk's prayer to God:
Even if the worse thing happens I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! The Sovereign Lord is my strength!”
Psalm 23:1
Because the Lord is my Shepherd, I have everything I need!
Psalm 42:11
Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again— my Savior and my God!
Job 13:15
Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him; I will surely defend my ways to his face.
Application
I will hold on to all of God's promises as all of life's troubles come my way!
How about you?
Romans 8:28
28 And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, even if the worst thing happens, I will rejoice in You. I will be joyful because You are the God of my salvation. You are Sovereign. You are my Lord. You are my strength!
I pray for anyone reading this blog today that is dealing with trouble. Give them strength Lord. Help them to trust You. Help them to be able to pray “even if”. Don't let them live in fear!
Daily Bible Reading: Habakkuk 1,2,3; John 8



No comments: