Thursday, June 13, 2019

No, Dear Brothers And Sisters, I Have Not Achieved It, But I Focus On This One Thing: Forgetting The Past And Looking Forward To What Lies Ahead, I Press On …


No, Dear Brothers And Sisters, I Have Not Achieved It,
But I Focus On This One Thing: Forgetting The Past And
Looking Forward To What Lies Ahead, I Press On …
Scripture
Philippians 3
12 I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. 

13 No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, 

14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.

Observation
Some people seem to think that since I am a pastor that I am somehow different than other people when it comes to sin. Some people, I am sure that I am not talking about you, sort of put pastors and missionaries up on a pedestal. My friend, that is not a good idea.
It is okay to honor and respect your pastor. I honor and respect my pastors Bruce Moore and Brian Elliott, but I also remind myself that Bruce and Brian are sinners just like I am. They are not perfect and neither am I.
I am sharing the Gospel today at our church's Vacation Bible School. I am taking with me a big paddle. Not to use on the kids, but to use as an object lesson as I tell them a story about me and what happened to me when I was a kid.
I got in a fight with my younger brother after school and the principal of the school saw us fighting and called us both into his office.
He told us that he was going to give both of us a spanking because we were fighting. For some crazy reason, I told the principal that I would take my brother's spanking and he let me get the spanking for both of us.
I guess I want to share this story with our kids for two reasons:
  1. To show them that Jesus took the punishment for our sins and paid for them with His death on the cross, like I did, in a lot smaller way, for my little brother when I took his spanking.
  2. And to let the children know that pastors, even though they are spiritual leaders, are not perfect either.
You and I, no matter who we are, we are still a work in progress! We have not arrived!
Application
I am a work in progress. God is not finished with me yet.
How about you?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, as I speak with the children this morning I pray that You give them an understanding of the Gospel message. I pray that some of them will place their trust and their faith in You today. Help them understand the message.
I pray for any person reading this blog this morning. I pray for his or her salvation. I pray if they are a believer that You help them to grow in their faith. Help them to trust You today with every detail of their life.
I pray for my son Eddie today on his birthday. Help him to be the man of God that You want him to be. Help me be a great husband and father to his children. Help him to continue to grow spiritually so he can lead his family the way that You want him to.
Daily Bible Reading: 1 Kings 13,14; 2 Chronicles 12; Philippians 3



No comments: