Monday, June 11, 2018

For You Have Been Given Not Only The Privilege Of Trusting In Christ But Also The Privilege Of Suffering For Him.


For You Have Been Given
Not Only The Privilege Of Trusting In Christ
But Also The Privilege Of Suffering For Him.
Scripture
Philippians 1
29 For you have been given not only the privilege of trusting in Christ but also the privilege of suffering for him. 
Observation
This verse is on my refrigerator! With it is a note from my very good friend John Seale. It was written and sent to me by John who was then struggling with throat cancer. John was an amazing guy whose focused stayed on reaching the island of Cuba for Christ until the day he died. John's suffering is over and he is now in the presence of his Savior!
The Apostle Paul knew what it was like to suffer. Five different times the Jewish leaders gave Paul thirty-nine lashes. Three times Paul was beaten with rods. Once Paul was stoned and left for dead. Three times Paul was shipwrecked. Once Paul spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea.  Paul traveled on many long journeys. He faced danger from rivers and from robbers. He faced danger from his own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. He have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the seas. 
And in the midst of all of that suffering we find the Apostle Paul, in jail, chained to a Roman soldier, writing this short letter to the church at Philippi and to us, telling us to rejoice in our suffering!
Pastor Brian Elliott preached from Philippians 1 yesterday and he shared with us that 1/3 of the book of Psalm's deals with suffering along with the entire book of Lamentations. He also said that Paul mentioned the words “joy” or “rejoice” 16 times in this short letter that we call “Philippians” while suffering is only mentioned twice!
Brian said, “Paul didn't look at life from his own lens – he looked at life through the lens of Jesus Christ.” And that is exactly what you and I have to do too!
To quote Pastor Brian one more time, “God can turn your worst situation and turn it to your good.”
Philippians is only 4 chapters long and only takes a few minutes to read.
Dive in to it today and get God's perspective on what is going on in your life!
Application

I will look at what is happening in my life from the lens of Jesus Christ. How about you?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I don't know how the Apostle Paul was able to stay focused on You when things were so bad, but he did. Help me to keep my focus on You and Your kingdom no matter what hits me in my circumstances. You are my Heavenly Father and nothing touches my life that first doesn't go through You. It has to have Your permission to touch my life. You are working everything for my good. You have promised to somehow turn even the worst situation to my good.
I pray for our good friend Barbara Franks and her family today as they grieve the loss of her husband Jack. Give the entire family Your strength today. May they sense Your presence, Your power, and Your love!
Daily Bible Reading: Song 5,6,7,8; Philippians 1



No comments: