Thursday, June 28, 2018

Tell People What They Need To Do. Tell Them When They Are Wrong. Encourage Them With Great Patience and Careful Teaching.


Tell People What They Need To Do.
Tell Them When They Are Wrong.
Encourage Them With Great Patience and Careful Teaching.
Scripture
2 Timothy 4
2 Preach the Good News. Be ready at all times, and tell people what they need to do. Tell them when they are wrong. Encourage them with great patience and careful teaching,
6 As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. 8 And now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing.
Observation
The Apostle Paul knows that his time on this earth is short. He is speaking to his young disciple Timothy. Paul is giving final instructions to his young son in the faith on how to deal with people!
Let me paraphrase verse 2 of 2 Timothy 4, “Share the Word of God (God's Good News) with everybody, no matter whether you feel like it or not. Tell people, based on the Word of God, what they need to do, correct them and, yes, even rebuke them, when they are doing something wrong. Encourage them and have a lot of patience with them!”
Well I have learned over the years that not all people like being corrected or rebuked. In fact, I haven't liked it when I have been corrected in the past. At least not at the moment when it happens.
I remember when Kathy and I went to see a counselor to get help on how to deal with one of our children. It was when they were going through a difficult time and dealing with the child was putting a strain on our marriage. The counselor told me all the things that I was doing wrong in dealing with my child. I felt terrible. I didn't like being told that I was wrong … but … the counselor was right!
As soon as I changed the way I was dealing with my child everything drastically improved in our house. I didn't like it at the time; I didn't like being told that what I was doing was wrong, but I am sure glad now that we went to see the counselor and got some help.
I have been accused of being judgmental, yes me, Eddy Williams … it happened when I pointed out to someone that what they were doing was contrary to God's Word. I hope that one day they realize that it was for their own good that I was calling them out on their bad, sinful behavior, not to harm them but to help them.
And maybe, just maybe, they will even one day thank me for encouraging them to live godly lives.
Application
As a follower of Jesus Christ and a minister of the Gospel I will continue to preach the Good News. I will be ready at all times. I will tell people what they need to do. I will tell them when they are wrong. I will encourage them with great patience and careful teaching. How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank You for loving me when I have not been very lovable! I don't deserve Your love or Your kindness. Give me Your heart for people. Help me to love them with Your Agape Love. Bring people into my life to correct me when I need to be corrected. And bring people into my life to encourage me when I need to be encouraged. Don't let me get sidetracked. Help me to be able to say as the Apostle Paul said, “ I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. Lord, help me to finish well!
Daily Bible Reading: Amos 1,2,3; Psalms 80; 2 Timothy 4



No comments: