Sunday, January 21, 2018

The Sacrifice You Desire Is A Broken Spirit

The Sacrifice
You Desire
Is A Broken Spirit
Scripture
Psalm 51
16 You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one.
    You do not want a burnt offering.

17 The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.
    You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.
Observation
Yesterday I wrote about “sacrifice” from Psalm 50:14 “make thankfulness your sacrifice to God” and today the word “sacrifice” pops up again as I read God's Word in Psalm 51 and this is a different kind of sacrifice that God wants from us.
A broken and repentant heart, yes a broken spirit is what God wants from me and from you.
He knows our hearts. He doesn't miss a thing. He sees it all. He wants us to confess our sins, not try to hide them or be defensive and try to blame someone else.
God wants us to come to Him with a broken and repentant heart over what we are doing or what we have done.
There is no blame-shifting found in Psalm 51 - “Against you, and you alone, have I sinned...”.
Application
When I sin I will confess my sin and I will ask the Lord to bring conviction every time I sin. I will ask Him to break my heart with what breaks His.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, two days in a row I have read in Your Word about “sacrifice”. I have read about what pleases You. Help me to stay away from stupid sins that mess up my life and mess up my relationship with You and that mess up my relationship with those around me. Make me so miserable when I sin that it breaks my heart and causes me to repent and turn back to You. I know that the sacrifice that You desire from me is a broken spirit and a broken and repentant heart.
Daily Bible Reading: Exodus 1,2; Psalms 88; Luke 21; … I added Psalm 21, Psalm 51; Proverbs 21



No comments: