Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Go … And Find A Wife There For My Son Isaac.

Go …
And Find
A Wife There For My Son Isaac.
Scripture
Genesis 24
Abraham was now a very old man, and the Lord had blessed him in every way. 
2 One day Abraham said to his oldest servant, the man in charge of his household, “Take an oath by putting your hand under my thigh. 
3 Swear by the Lord, the God of heaven and earth, that you will not allow my son to marry one of these local Canaanite women. 
4 Go instead to my homeland, to my relatives, and find a wife there for my son Isaac.”
Observation
Isaac didn't have the opportunity go out and find his own wife. One was found for him. Her name was Rebekah. Isaac made a commitment to love his wife Rebekah even though he didn't get to pick her out for himself.
As I read this chapter this morning I was once again reminded that the love that keeps a couple together is not the romantic love; it is not the touchy feeling kind of love (or lust) that attracts us to the opposite sex.
No, the love that keeps a couple together is God's love for each other. It is a commitment that puts the other person first.
When someone says to his or her partner, “I don't love you any more” – what they are really saying to their partner is this … I have decided to put myself first. They are really saying, “I have decided to put my needs above your needs”.
You and I can stop loving our spouse when Christ stops loving His church. It is okay to divorce your spouse when Christ divorces His bride the church.
As long as I put Kathy and her needs first in our relationship it is amazing how good our marriage is! I wish that I could say that I have done that 100% of the time. The worst times in our marriage have been when Eddy has put Eddy first.
Don't love your wife any more? Don't love your husband any more? Love, God's love, is a decision. It is a choice. It is a commitment.
You and I must make the commitment daily to love our spouse and put them and their needs first if we are going to love them as Christ loves the church!
Application
I will strive to love Kathy as Christ loves the church. How about you and your commitment to love your spouse?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that Satan wants to destroy families and so he works hard to destroy marriages. It is a spiritual battle that is being fought against husbands and wives and their relationship with each other.
I pray for the couples in our church. Help them to be strong. Help them to realize that keeping their marriage great takes a lot of work. They have an enemy and it is not each other. Open up their eyes and help them to keep themselves pure. Help them to see that the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence. Thank You for giving me a great wife. You are so good!
Daily Bible Reading: Genesis 23,24; Luke 9; Psalm 9, Psalm 39; Proverbs 9



No comments: