Monday, February 26, 2018

Jesus Overheard Them And Said … “Don't Be Afraid. Just Have Faith.”

Jesus Overheard Them And Said …
Don't Be Afraid.
Just Have Faith.”
Scripture
Mark 5
22 Then a leader of the local synagogue, whose name was Jairus, arrived. When he saw Jesus, he fell at his feet, 23 pleading fervently with him. “My little daughter is dying,” he said. “Please come and lay your hands on her; heal her so she can live.”
24 Jesus went with him, and all the people followed, crowding around him. 
35 While he was still speaking to her, messengers arrived from the home of Jairus, the leader of the synagogue. They told him, “Your daughter is dead. There’s no use troubling the Teacher now.”
36 But Jesus overheard them and said to Jairus, “Don’t be afraid. Just have faith.”
41 Holding her hand, he said to her, “Talitha koum,” which means “Little girl, get up!” 42 And the girl, who was twelve years old, immediately stood up and walked around! They were overwhelmed and totally amazed.

Observation

These words of Jesus were said to a father whose young daughter was dying and in fact, by the time he and Jesus reached her she had already died.
The situation would have been hopeless, but it wasn't … because Jesus was there.
When things in our lives are seemingly hopeless, that is when you and I need to realize that we have Jesus, so they aren't hopeless.
After my heart attack six years ago and after the 14 hours of surgery that followed, the young heart surgeon told Kathy that I had less than a 5% chance of surviving the trip from the operating room up to intensive care – up to CCU.
Those are not very good odds at all, especially when it is the life of a loved one that the doctor is talking about!
From a human perspective I know that to Kathy, my kids, and to everyone else, that it must have seemed very very hopeless … even my surgeon after the 14 hour surgery did not think that I would survive (He didn't tell us that, but he did tell his nurse practitioner who later told me).
Kathy and all of those praying for me held on to Jesus' words, “Don't be afraid. Just have faith.”
Later on, after I had gotten out of the hospital I went to see my lung doctor on a follow up visit and I can still remember him staring at me and saying, “You know that you shouldn't have survived … you really are a miracle!”
What are you going through? How is your faith being tested today? “Don't be afraid. Just have faith.”
Ephesians 3:20
20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.
Psalm 18:6
In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears.
Application
I will encourage those going through impossible situations to look to Jesus and I will encourage them to hold on to His promises. How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, the journey of faith always takes us to situations that are seemingly impossible because without You and Your help they are impossible. But for You all things are possible. Nothing is too hard for You. Help us to walk by faith today and not by sight. Show us that we can always trust in You when we run into impossible situations!
Daily Bible Reading: Numbers 19,20; Psalms 28; Mark 5



No comments: