Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Abraham Believed In The God Who Brings The Dead Back To Life And Who Creates New Things Out Of Nothing.


Abraham Believed In The God
Who Brings The Dead Back To Life
And Who Creates New Things Out Of Nothing.
Scripture
Romans 4
17 That is what the Scriptures mean when God told him, “I have made you the father of many nations.” This happened because Abraham believed in the God who brings the dead back to life and who creates new things out of nothing.
18 Even when there was no reason for hope, Abraham kept hoping—believing that he would become the father of many nations. For God had said to him, “That’s how many descendants you will have!” 19 And Abraham’s faith did not weaken, even though, at about 100 years of age, he figured his body was as good as dead—and so was Sarah’s womb.
20 Abraham never wavered in believing God’s promise. In fact, his faith grew stronger, and in this he brought glory to God. 
21 He was fully convinced that God is able to do whatever he promises.
Observation

I don't know of anyone else who has had to wait 100 years before getting something that God had promised them.
Can you imagine waiting 100 years with a name that God gave you that meant “Father of Nations”? Everybody back then knew the meaning of Abraham's name! I wonder what people thought every time they said his name!
Yet in spite of being childless and in spite of the fact that both Abraham and Sarah were way past child bearing years, even with his worn out body, Abraham's faith grew stronger and stronger as he got older and older.
At nearly 100 years of age Abraham was fully convinced that God is able to do whatever he promises. God wants me and you to walk by faith.
If you wonder why God hasn't answered that prayer yet; it is probably because He wants you to learn to depend on Him. He wants us to totally trust in the One who brings the dead back to life and who creates new things out of nothing!
If God answered our prayers immediately, every time we prayed for something, that would not increase our faith. This story reminds me of the story of Noah and God telling Noah to build the Ark. And thinking about the faith of Abraham and Noah has made me start thinking about all the other great stories of faith that we find in the Bible.
Do you want to be a person of great faith? I sure do.
If we do, then we have to dig into God's Word everyday so God can show us how to walk by faith! Open up His Word today and start reading it.
Application
I am fully convinced that God is able to do whatever he promises. How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I am encouraged today as I read Your Word about Abraham and his walk of faith. Give me his faith. Help me to see Your Hand in every detail of my life today. I want to walk by faith today and not by sight. It is so easy to become discouraged when I walk by sight. I know that Abraham battled this in his life too. I can't imagine waiting as long as Abraham did for You to fulfill a promise. But I know that every promise in Your Word is a promise that I can count on. You are faithful 100%. 
I pray for those who are discouraged today. Encourage them through Your Word and through the word of a friend.
Daily Bible Reading: 2 Chronicles 6,7; Psalms 135; Romans 4



No comments: