Friday, May 11, 2018

He Broke His Promises.


He
Broke
His Promises.
Scripture
Psalm 55
16 But I will call on God,
    and the Lord will rescue me.
17 Morning, noon, and night
    I cry out in my distress,
    and the Lord hears my voice.
20 As for my companion, he betrayed his friends;
    he broke his promises.
21 His words are as smooth as butter,
    but in his heart is war.
His words are as soothing as lotion,
    but underneath are daggers!
22 Give your burdens to the Lord,
    and he will take care of you.
    He will not permit the godly to slip and fall.
Observation
He broke his promises!
How bad have you been hurt by someone that didn't keep their promises to you? Kathy and I have been hurt deeply by broken promises made to us and I bet that you have too!
So what do we do when someone breaks our hearts by breaking their promises that they made to us. The hurt is real. There is no getting around the pain that we feel.
Here is what we have to do if we are ever going to get over the damage that this betrayal has caused. We have to pray. We must roll that burden, that hurt over onto the Lord and let the Lord take care of us.
And yes, we must forgive the person who betrayed us. How many times must we forgive them? 70X7!
We must go to God in prayer - morning, noon, and night - and every time the hurt of betrayal resurfaces in our thoughts.
Let's not let the promise-breaker hold us captive, by us having an unforgiving heart! Let's let God be the One who deals with this person who broke our heart!
Application
I will give my burdens to the Lord because I know that He will take care of me. How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, You had one Son and He was betrayed. In fact, all of His followers left Him and His enemies nailed Him to a cross. So I know that You understand what it feels like to be betrayed. You are the only one that never breaks a promise. I know that I have broken promises that I have made too. Help me to forgive when someone doesn't keep his or her word. I realize that I am a sinner too just like they are.
I pray for those who are dealing with spouses who have not been honest with them. Some of them have broken their wedding vows and they have crossed the line and have given themselves to someone else. I pray for healing for those who have been betrayed in this way. And I pray that You bring broken marriages back together. Your promise in Romans 8:28 comes to my mind for those who have been hurt and betrayed by a spouse's infidelity. Romans 12:19 also comes to my mind.
Romans 8:28
28 And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.
Romans 12:19
Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God. For the Scriptures say, “I will take revenge; I will pay them back,” says the Lord.
Daily Bible Reading: 2 Samuel 19,20; Psalms 55; Matthew 28



No comments: