Friday, May 18, 2018

But All They Gave Him Was Lip Service


But
All They Gave Him
Was Lip Service
Scripture
Psalm 78
36 But all they gave him was lip service;
    they lied to him with their tongues.

37 Their hearts were not loyal to him.
    They did not keep his covenant.
Observation
Psalm 78 is a reminder to me, and I think it should be a reminder to all of us who call ourselves followers of Jesus Christ, that we need to seriously live our lives totally surrendered to God and not just give Him lip service. Lip service ... is saying that Jesus is my Savior but I am going to live my life the way I want to live it. Lip service ... is saying that Jesus is my Savior but not committing myself to the building up the Body of Christ, His church. Lordship or lip service, the choice is ours to make … I would read Psalm 78 and think hard about what happens to those of us who only give “lip service” to God. Lip service or total surrender, the choice is ours to make!
Hebrews 10
24 Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. 
25 And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.
James 1
22 But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves.
Joshua 24
15 But if you refuse to serve the Lord, then choose today whom you will serve. Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates? Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live? But as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.”
Application
Lip service is not enough for me. I will serve the Lord. I will love the Lord my God with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind. How about you?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to always live a surrendered life. Lip service is hollow. It is cheap. It cost nothing. I want to love You with all of my heart, with all of my soul, and with all of my mind. Help me to do just that.
Daily Bible Reading: 1 Kings 3; 2 Chronicles 1; Psalms 78; 2 Thessalonians 2



No comments: