Sunday, May 06, 2018

Why, Then, Have You Despised The Word Of The Lord And Done This Horrible Deed?


Why, Then,
Have You Despised The Word Of The Lord
And Done This Horrible Deed?
Scripture
2 Samuel 12
2 Late one afternoon, after his midday rest, David got out of bed and was walking on the roof of the palace. As he looked out over the city, he noticed a woman of unusual beauty taking a bath. 
3 He sent someone to find out who she was, and he was told, “She is Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam and the wife of Uriah the Hittite.” 
4 Then David sent messengers to get her; and when she came to the palace, he slept with her. ...
Why, then, have you despised the word of the Lord and done this horrible deed? For you have murdered Uriah the Hittite with the sword of the Ammonites and stolen his wife. 

10 From this time on, your family will live by the sword because you have despised me by taking Uriah’s wife to be your own.

11 “This is what the Lord says: Because of what you have done, I will cause your own household to rebel against you. I will give your wives to another man before your very eyes, and he will go to bed with them in public view. 
12 You did it secretly, but I will make this happen to you openly in the sight of all Israel.”
Observation
The high price one pays for a few moments of pleasure!
The story of David and Bathsheba is one of the saddest stories in the Bible. With all of the great heroic stories about King David in the Bible there is this one dark story in David's life.
I think God put the story in the Bible to show us how destructive the sin of adultery will be in our life if we let down our guard and yield to its temptation.
King David took Bathsheba and committed adultery with her. Why did he do that? He had other wives.
To make matters worse David had her husband murdered trying to cover up this horrible sin. From this point on, King David's life will never be the same. Even though David repented and asked God for forgiveness of this horrible sin, the terrible consequences of this sin never leaves King David and never leaves his family.
So lets not think for a minute that we can sin the way King David did and get away with it with no consequences. The Lord didn't bring Bathsheba into King David's life for David to commit adultery with her.
What David did with Bathsheba, our God had nothing to do with … all the responsibility of that deed falls on David.
David's moral failure and its horrible consequences are in the Bible to warn us of the danger of committing adultery.
Proverbs 6:32-33
But the man who commits adultery is an utter fool, for he destroys himself. 33 He will be wounded and disgraced. His shame will never be erased.
Application
I will guard my heart. How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, it saddens me to even read this story about King David. Too many people in my life have gone down this same path. I know that You are a God of grace, mercy, and forgiveness. I know that You love us in spite of our sins. Help me to repent quickly when I sin. Don't let me mess up my life with stupid sins that have huge consequences. Don't let me step across the guardrails that I have established for my life.
Daily Bible Reading: 2 Samuel 11,12; Psalms 51; Matthew 23



No comments: