Sunday, August 11, 2019

And Since I, Your Lord And Teacher, Have Washed Your Feet, You Ought To Wash Each Other's Feet.


And Since I, Your Lord And Teacher,
Have Washed Your Feet,
You Ought To Wash Each Other's Feet.
Scripture
John 13
12 After washing their feet, he put on his robe again and sat down and asked, “Do you understand what I was doing? 

13 You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and you are right, because that’s what I am. 

14 And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. 

15 I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you. 

16 I tell you the truth, slaves are not greater than their master. Nor is the messenger more important than the one who sends the message.

17 Now that you know these things, God will bless you for doing them.
34 So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. 
35 Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.”
Observation
Only hours away from being nailed to a cross for our sins, Jesus continued to teach His disciples important lessons about the Christian life. His washing of his disciples' feet was symbolic of how you and I need to humbly serve one another. 
In those days the washing of the feet of invited guests was a menial task done by a household slave Jesus washed His disciples' feet to show us how we should serve one another.
Jesus said in verses 15-17,
I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you. I tell you the truth, slaves are not greater than their master. Nor is the messenger more important than the one who sends the message. Now that you know these things, God will bless you for doing them.”
Help me Lord to keep my focus on the needs of other people today and off of myself!
Mark 10:45
45 “For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
1 Peter 4:10
God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another.
Matthew 25
35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 

36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

37 “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 
38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 
39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’
40 “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’
Application
I will look for someone to help today.
How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, help me to focus on the needs of others today. Direct me to someone who needs my help.
Daily Bible Reading: Jeremiah 7,8,9; John 13



No comments: