Saturday, August 24, 2019

Dear Children, Keep Away From Anything That Might Take God's Place In Your Hearts.


Dear Children,
Keep Away From Anything
That Might Take God's Place In Your Hearts.
Scripture
1 John 5
11 And this is what God has testified: He has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 
12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have God’s Son does not have life.
13 I have written this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life. 
14 And we are confident that he hears us whenever we ask for anything that pleases him. 
15 And since we know he hears us when we make our requests, we also know that he will give us what we ask for.
21 Dear children, keep away from anything that might take God’s place in your hearts.
Observation
Every single day a battle is being fought for that special place in our hearts that God desires to reside. God wants to have first place in our hearts. He wants to be on the throne!
And each and every day we are in a spiritual battle to keep God on the throne. Self, our old nature, wants to be in control. Self wants to be on the throne.
The Apostle John ends this short letter with what is definitely a warning, but which is also some great advice for us today, “Keep away from anything that might take God's place in your hearts.”
Can you think of something, anything, that is taking God's place in your life?
Proverbs 4:23
Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.
Romans 7
22 I love God’s law with all my heart. 

23 But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. 

24 Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? 

25 Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. …

**** Today is Saturday … tomorrow is Sunday! Get your clothes out and ready and your kids' clothes out and ready today for church in the morning! It is a great step in putting God first in your life!

Application
I will make sure that God has first place in my life today.
How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, help me to guard my heart. I don't want anything taking Your place in my heart. Every time something does take Your spot in my heart I want You to make me miserable until I confess that sin and allow You to once again to be in control.
I pray for anyone reading this blog that is struggling with an addiction. I pray that You would help them only to be passionately addicted to You.
Daily Bible Reading: Jeremiah 33,34; Psalms 74; 1 John 5



No comments: