Friday, August 02, 2019

But Those Who Drink The Water I Give Will Never Be Thirsty Again. It Becomes A Fresh, Bubbling Spring Within Them, Giving Them Eternal Life.


But Those Who Drink The Water I Give Will Never Be Thirsty Again.
It Becomes A Fresh, Bubbling Spring Within Them,
Giving Them Eternal Life.
Scripture
John 4
13 Jesus replied, “Anyone who drinks this water will soon become thirsty again. 
14 But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life.”
15 “Please, sir,” the woman said, “give me this water! Then I’ll never be thirsty again, and I won’t have to come here to get water.”
16 “Go and get your husband,” Jesus told her.
17 “I don’t have a husband,” the woman replied. Jesus said, “You’re right! You don’t have a husband— 
18 for you have had five husbands, and you aren’t even married to the man you’re living with now. You certainly spoke the truth!” ...
26 Then Jesus told her, “I am the Messiah!”
Observation
I love the story of the Samaritan woman found in John 4. Jesus knew all about her life before He even met her at the well that day. He knew that she had been married to 5 men and the man she was now living with was not her husband. When Jesus pointed out her sinfulness He did it without condemning her – and He does the same thing today for us!
Until you and I realize that we are sinners and that we are lost and in need of a Savior we will never place our faith and our trust in Jesus to save us.
Here is an amazing example of God's love:
Kathy's Dad, Clayton Bearden, had just begun to attend church with Kathy's Mom when he was 67 years old. All the years before he made sure that all his kids went to church with his wife Hazel, but he didn't go with them. He had a rule that if the kids didn't go to church that they didn't get to do anything else that day. 
This rule was the reason that I started going to church with Kathy back in high school when I started dating her.
Kathy and I were in seminary in Texas when Clayton started going to church. We came to Tampa for a visit and Clayton was talking to us about something that happened at church.
The church was having the Lord's Supper (Communion) that day, but Clayton wouldn't take it. He told us, “The deacon looked at me funny when I didn't take the Lord's supper, but he should have known that I wasn't a Christian.”
When Kathy and I heard Clayton admit that he wasn't a Christian we were both very encouraged. We knew that God was working in his life. Clayton was a very good man and he had previously thought that his goodness was going to get him into Heaven. We knew after we heard him talk that day that he realized that he was a sinner.
A few months later Clayton surrendered his life to Jesus and was baptized. He only had two years of experiencing the Christian life before he died, but what wonderful change we witnessed in his life!
God loves us just like we are, but He loves us way too much to let us stay that way!
Application
I will continue to share the Good News about Jesus with everyone I can.
How about you? Have you realized that you are a sinner in need of a Savior?

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank You for saving me. Thank You for showing me my sinfulness without condemning me. Thank You for bringing people into my life that helped me know the Savior. I am eternally grateful for them. I pray for conviction, not condemnation for my friends who have yet to surrender their lives to Jesus. Show them that they are lost and in need of a Savior.
Daily Bible Reading: 2 Kings 21; 2 Chronicles 33; John 4



No comments: